Hardware needed to play DVD's??

Hardware needed to play DVD's??

Postby TNFrank » 18 Sep 2013, 17:58

I have a question about what's needed to play a DVD with VLC using Point Linux. I recently set up an older Dell L866r desktop computer for my daughter and grandson to use with Point Linux. It has a Pentium III 866MHz processor, I upgraded the memory to the full 512MB and installed my old 60GB hard drive from my dead iMac and also the "Super Drive" (i.e. DVD-RW Drive) from my old iMac as well. I used the DVD drive to install the full version of Point Linux so I know it works but when my grandson inserted a DVD and tried to play it with VLC it didn't do anything, we just got a black screen in the VLC window. Is there something I need to download like a codec or driver in order for the DVD player to play DVD's or do I not have enough memory( the DVD player worked find with my old iMac, 800MHz G4 PPC, 748MB of RAM) or could it be something else? Thanks in advance for any help.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Re: Hardware needed to play DVD's??

Postby dek » 18 Sep 2013, 19:12

watching this topic? How to look DVDs?
dek

Postby TNFrank » 18 Sep 2013, 19:55

Checked out the link, thanks. The "odd" thing is that DVD's play fine on my Laptop and it has the same version of Point Linux installed on it. Is there a certain amount of RAM needed(doesn't seem like it should matter but who knows) or something I'm missing here? Again, thanks for the link.
TNFrank

Postby TNFrank » 18 Sep 2013, 21:05

Ok, I'm pretty sure it's the old graphics card that's in the system. Did a System Monitor while a DVD was "playing" in VLC(I say playing because it was very, very slow) and out of the 512MB of RAM only about 230MB were allocated. I'd bet if I ordered a newer PCI Graphics card with a faster GPU and more VRAM it'd work better. Guess I'll have to check into it. 8-)
TNFrank

Return to Hardware Support