Printer Problems.

Printer Problems.

Postby TNFrank » 02 Oct 2013, 14:10

I had hopped that this was just going to be an HP Printer deal having had no success trying to install an HP printer on my daughter's desktop with Point Linux or on a buddies laptop with Point Linux but I just ran into a problem trying to install a LexMark on my laptop.
It "sees" the printer and installs it just fine but there's no communication between the computer and the printer. I send commands over to the printer and it simply says it's "idle" and nothing happens. I can't even use the scan function on my LexMark to scan stuff because I guess the supplied driver doesn't support this printer properly. So, are we all just doomed to not being able to have a printer under Linux or is there a simple fix or what??
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Re: Printer Problems.

Postby Pry » 02 Oct 2013, 15:07

So are we talking about the HP printer or Lexmark printer. Can you specify the model?
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby TNFrank » 02 Oct 2013, 17:12

Both HP and Lexmark. With the HP they would have a "!" on them and with the Lexmark everything looked ok but it'd simply not work, no scanning ability, no printing or anything. I'm sure it's some kind of driver issue but after doing a few searches I've still not been able to find any compatible drivers.
TNFrank

Postby Pry » 02 Oct 2013, 17:41

Frank, on HP I need a model, otherwise I won't be able to help you. I have no experience with the Lexmark printers, but HP has pretty shitty Linux support for cheap models like LaserJet 1002 (my case). I had to dance around the thing for hours to get it to work. You'll need to install the latest HPLIP bundle. There's also a great tool called hp-doctor (included in the bundle), it'll save your time and nerves.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby TNFrank » 02 Oct 2013, 19:53

IIRC it was an HP Deskjet F4480. Yep, ya' really have to watch out what you buy for a machine running Linux, not nearly as much support as for other Op Systems.
I was just really surprised to see the LexMark install so easily only to not work at all. Not really sure what gives with that but I'm sure I'll figure it out, I always do. ;)
TNFrank

Return to Hardware Support