Install Wireless

Install Wireless

Postby victorsk » 09 Feb 2014, 14:28

Hello everyone,

Is it absolutely necessary for me to install new kernel in order for my wireless to work?. I have the following wireless device:

Code: Select all
Atheros Communications Inc. AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

When I install newer kernel I have big issues with video driver so only kernel 3.2 works with my video. But kernel 3.2 does not work with my wireless device. Is it possible to avoid installing new kernel while still making my wireless work?

Thank you,
Victor.
victorsk

Re: Install Wireless

Postby Pinkeye » 09 Feb 2014, 17:00

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=107377

It seems you are out of luck with stable kernel.
Pinkeye

Postby Maroman » 09 Feb 2014, 17:46

it's problem with ath9 driver. do you have info that wireless is disabled by hardware? and it's impossible to switch on the wireless card (you can check but cannot change the status with rfkill command). I must say it's a bit strange because I have opposite situation (I have simpler wifi card). what video do you have?
let's try with wifi. create text file asus_nb_wmi.conf with one line
options asus_nb_wmi wapf=1

next copy/move the file (as a root of course) to /etc/modprobe.d and restart. write if it helps.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby victorsk » 09 Feb 2014, 19:54

Maroman wrote:it's problem with ath9 driver. do you have info that wireless is disabled by hardware? and it's impossible to switch on the wireless card (you can check but cannot change the status with rfkill command). I must say it's a bit strange because I have opposite situation (I have simpler wifi card). what video do you have?
let's try with wifi. create text file asus_nb_wmi.conf with one line
options asus_nb_wmi wapf=1

next copy/move the file (as a root of course) to /etc/modprobe.d and restart. write if it helps.
cheers,

Hi,

I've got a Dell Insprion 17R with 4200U processor. It's video specs are as follows:

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

The problem is that with newer kernel the screen gets all blurry with only purple and green colors. Point Linux is the only distribution where my video card works properly. Unfortunately wireless is not but I figure its easier to resolve my wireless problem than video problems. I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks,
Victor.
victorsk

Postby Maroman » 09 Feb 2014, 21:38

try to google your problem. maybe arch wiki. this page might be also useful. of course wifi first. you can also install rfkill (read man page) and try to switch your card on. your computer is brand new and designed for different os.
I would also try other distros. I have suggestions but first try with wifi.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Return to Hardware Support