Any special tweaks to run PL 3.x on an SSD?

Any special tweaks to run PL 3.x on an SSD?

Postby TNFrank » 02 Apr 2014, 22:09

Just wonder if there's any special tweaks that I need to do in order to run Point Linux 3.x on an SSD? I'm getting errors at the start, right after Grub. Memory isn't good enough to tell ya' what they are, LOL but I have to "hit any key to continue" then it'll boot to the log in screen where I can enter my user name and password. IIRC something about ram disk or something. Anyway, is there anything I need to do to run PL on an SSD or just install it and let it go?
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Re: Any special tweaks to run PL 3.x on an SSD?

Postby jordan » 02 Apr 2014, 22:18

You can run PL 3.x as is on an SSD. I would recommend looking at the following link: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd

I would at the very least, enable the TRIM function. In the link above, go to Automatic TRIM: by rc.local and instructions are posted.
jordan

Postby dyfi » 03 Apr 2014, 04:42

@ Jorden - Thanks for the link, I knew some of the tweaks but not all of them.
dyfi

Postby TNFrank » 16 Apr 2014, 14:35

Main thing I did was cut 10% off and leave it Unallocated and I go in and do an fstrim -v / every now and again. From what I've read most modern SSD Firmware automatically will Trim them and keep things running right long as you don't fill them too full, hence the 10% Unallocated part.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Return to Hardware Support