Setting up a Network Share between my laptops?

Setting up a Network Share between my laptops?

Postby TNFrank » 31 Oct 2013, 18:58

I'm trying to set up Network Sharing between my three laptops so I won't have to keep moving files between them via USB all the time. I'd installed Samba on all three. Enabled "Sharing" and have stuff set up as well as I can figure out but I'm running into a little snag. It seems that between the 3 that now only #3 is seen by them all and I can't mount the network to get into the folder on #3 at all.
Earlier I had it so #1 and #2 were sharing ok, I could make a file on one after I'd mount the folder and it'd show up on the other but adding this third laptop to the loop has done something or I've just not configed something right.
Can someone give me a point by point list of steps I need to take starting at the very beginning as to how to get these laptops networked all together using Sambashare over my local network? Thanks in advance. ;)
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Re: Setting up a Network Share between my laptops?

Postby TNFrank » 31 Oct 2013, 19:36

Ok, I've managed to muddle through and get things set up so I can see files in my home folder between 1,2 and 3 and I can transfer files between laptops. I just need to figure out how I can create a folder from one laptop to another. Say I'm on #1 and want to create a folder on #3, I get an error message right now. I guess I could go to the home folder of #1 and make the folder then transfer it to #3 but is there an easier way? This is all totally new to me being able to network my laptops via wifi through my home router using Samba. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks.
TNFrank

Postby Maroman » 02 Nov 2013, 18:20

TNFrank wrote: Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks.
Frank. I'm not sure I can help but I would like to give you a fishing rod. there is a book, you can get free http://it-ebooks.info/book/148/. maybe it's a bit old but this project goes rather slowly so it shouldn't be out-of-dated.
I was trying to read original documentation on samba but it's huge. at the moment I'm only using Linux-windows connections. it works but is relatively slow (approx 1MB/s) if you want to transfer big files. works good if you listen to music or transfer smaller files. I do not use it for printing (I have only gdi printer so I even don't know if it's working).

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby TNFrank » 02 Nov 2013, 23:38

Hey, a Free download, even of something older is still a good deal IMHO. I'm not sure what I'm using, I know I did download Samba and I went into Personal File Sharing to get the 3 laptops "hooked up" together. I did a transfer of some iso files and firmware from my #1 to my #3 and it was at 1.2Mb/s if that sounds right, all in all it took about 20 minutes for 2.0GB to transfer. I'm new to so much of this stuff but I figure there's no time like the present to learn how to do it. LOL. ;)
TNFrank

Return to Network