Mate Desktop Repo

Mate Desktop Repo

Postby thecrazygm » 31 May 2013, 14:52

Do you see anything wrong with adding the official Mate Desktop repo to the sources.list or do you do a lot of customizing of it?
I installed it on my netbook and added the repo and have 1.6 running and everything seems ok. Do you advise against this or will it do any harm?

Thanks,

Michael Garcia, a.k.a. The Crazy GM
I walk the fine line between genius and sanity.
thecrazygm

Re: Mate Desktop Repo

Postby Pry » 31 May 2013, 19:16

Good day, Michael!

Well, the new Point Linux version with MATE 1.6 is under development now and beta will be released soon. The MATE devs have moved to dconf instead of mateconf (basically the gconf fork) in MATE 1.6. I have the new MATE up and running but Compiz is the problem. MATE-Compiz used in PL 3.4 does not work with MATE 1.6 and ordinary Compiz has lots of issues.

So there should be no harm (just update Point Linux packages and do not forget to remove Compiz before upgrade) as I fixed some bugs that prevented MATE 1.6 migration for the Point Linux 13.04, but it's not advised if you want to have a stable system taking on account that the are no significant changes in the UI in MATE 1.6.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Re: Mate Desktop Repo

Postby tubatodd » 16 Jun 2013, 16:50

I've used the official Debian MATE 1.6 repo and it is working great for me. The only thing I am running into is getting the window decoration working with compiz. Other than that, 1.6 works great.
Todd Morgan
Birmingham, AL
tubatodd

Return to MATE Desktop