Open as administrator in Caja

Open as administrator in Caja

Postby jordan » 03 Jun 2013, 00:29

Just a little tip for those that don't already know and would like to be able to right click on a Caja (file manager) folder or file and be given the option of opening as administrator.

Open your Synaptic Package Manager and locate 'caja-gksu'. Install it, log out and log back in. Open Caja and right click on any file or folder and you should now see "Open as administrator" in the right click context menu. Proceed with caution :)
jordan

Re: Open as administrator in Caja

Postby Maroman » 04 Jun 2013, 13:42

and there is second plugin - caja-terminal. very useful if you want to open terminal exactly in the directory you are looking at.

cheers, Maroman
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 04 Jun 2013, 14:05

Do you guys want to see it installed by default?
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Maroman » 04 Jun 2013, 14:21

never-the-less I'm using this terminal option quit often. it is easier than changing directories by cd command in terminal. but for non-terminal (good joke; people not using terminal of course) users it is completely useless. me personally prefer small light distro which can be easily tuned.
and by the way. maybe it is better to stay with 1.4 mate version. I must say that for me it was reason to choose PL (not only, but quit important).

Cheers, M
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby jordan » 04 Jun 2013, 14:35

Pry wrote:Do you guys want to see it installed by default?

Yes. Both packages, caja-gksu (open as administrator) and the caja-terminal (open terminal here), would be very useful to be installed by default.
jordan

Postby Pry » 04 Jun 2013, 14:49

Maroman wrote:and by the way. maybe it is better to stay with 1.4 mate version. I must say that for me it was reason to choose PL (not only, but quit important).

I defenitely do not want to abandon 1.4. There will be 13.04.1 pretty soon. It will use the same repo (and the same 1.4).
1.6 will go out next as beta, but I'm not sure it will ever see it's final release. You know the reason. :) And certainly I will continue 13.04.x after that.

P.S. Maroman, when you make an offtop message somewhere kitten dies. ;) So please start a new topic.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Pry » 04 Jun 2013, 15:09

jordan wrote:Yes. Both packages, caja-gksu (open as administrator) and the caja-terminal (open terminal here), would be very useful to be installed by default.

Jordan, these things are handy and I've been thinking about their addition before, but on the other hand I do not want to turn Point Linux into another bloated distro. Do you want to see it in Full edition (will be added to pointlinux-mate-desktop package) or in both editions (will be added to pointlinux-mate-core package)?
Pry
Site Admin

Postby jordan » 04 Jun 2013, 15:57

Pry wrote:
jordan wrote:Yes. Both packages, caja-gksu (open as administrator) and the caja-terminal (open terminal here), would be very useful to be installed by default.

Jordan, these things are handy and I've been thinking about their addition before, but on the other hand I do not want to turn Point Linux into another bloated distro. Do you want to see it in Full edition (will be added to pointlinux-mate-desktop package) or in both editions (will be added to pointlinux-mate-core package)?

I agree that Point Linux should not be bloated. Personally, I'd like it in the Full edition only but am not opposed to leaving both out and having the user install them. I was thinking more in terms of convenience and user friendliness. But in reality, PL is not really aimed toward new users as far as I can tell.
jordan

Postby Pry » 04 Jun 2013, 18:35

jordan wrote:But in reality, PL is not really aimed toward new users as far as I can tell.

You're right, this distro is aimed at experienced users. But I try to find a perfect balance of usability and functionality.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Maroman » 05 Jun 2013, 13:06

Pry wrote:But I try to find a perfect balance of usability and functionality.

if so, from my perspective, simple scan, thunderbird, pigin, remina, dictionary, disk usage analyzer, system monitor, update manager are not needed. for those who need above said programs it might be script for installing them.

please consider conky, guake, ftp (gftp, ncftp can also be easily installed) or uget, exaile and htop-like task manager.
ride my bike,
Maroman

Next

Return to MATE Desktop