how can I customize the "Main Menu", according to my notions

how can I customize the "Main Menu", according to my notions

Postby edna » 28 Dec 2013, 11:42

Hello,

I have this distro discovered for myself because plain and good, but I have a question: how can I customize the "Main Menu", according to my notions? do I have to install a specific front-end, and if so which one?

Reason, entries without the function I would like to delete.

Thank you very much

translate by google > same as http://forums.pointlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=576 in german
edna

Re: how can I customize the "Main Menu", according to my not

Postby Maroman » 28 Dec 2013, 12:19

it's possible to customize menu with installed tools. but not directly. there are two menus - main menu and menu bar. the last one is added to panel. add the first one to (any) panel for a moment (with right click) and with right click at the main Menu open menu. you will see Edit Menu option. all you edit for the Main is valid for the Bar. Next you can remove one.
at the moment I've forgotten the name of the program but in some desktops/distros it should be installed separatelly (for xubuntu, can't remember).

additionally (at the end) all panels might be blocked (nothing can be done) with Configuration Editor (apps>panel>global>loced_down).

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby edna » 28 Dec 2013, 12:33

i just can by right click at main Menü move remove from panel or lock on panel and help
there is no option to edit the Menü
edna

Postby jordan » 28 Dec 2013, 12:54

edna wrote:i just can by right click at main Menü move remove from panel or lock on panel and help
there is no option to edit the Menü

I believe the package you are looking for is alacarte.

Open up the terminal and enter: sudo apt-get install alacarte

Or you can install it by opening the Synaptic Package Manager and searching for it. Once you find it, right click and choose install. Then apply.

After installation, run alacarte and edit the menu. See http://screenshots.debian.net/package/alacarte

Reply if it works, or does not. :)
jordan

Postby edna » 28 Dec 2013, 13:01

hope my system will still running after that cuz there are many many changes.
but i will try an give you an answer.

thanks by the way

/edit : still works fine.
thank you very much

happy new year =@
edna

Postby Maroman » 28 Dec 2013, 13:14

@edna. I gave you exact procedure to edit menu. read carefully.
@jordan. well yes. it's alacarte. it's gnome application so I'm afraid it needs more libraries and bar menu wouldn't be edited. but there is mate substitute (I'm using it).

once more. there are two menus we can add to panels. menu bar is not editable. Main menu is editable. but settings are valid to both.

cheers,

finally I have solution. in terminal wright mozo. that's all. it's a name of alacarte substitute.
look also Menu > System > Preferences > Main Menu.
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby edna » 28 Dec 2013, 16:48

once again --> there is no option to edit the MAIN MENU.

But after I installed the package "mozo" I could as you described the Edit menu < translate by google
edna

Postby jordan » 28 Dec 2013, 16:51

Maroman wrote:finally I have solution. in terminal wright mozo. that's all. it's a name of alacarte substitute.
look also Menu > System > Preferences > Main Menu.

Maroman,
It seems that alacarte doesn't need many libraries in MATE 1.6. In MATE 1.4 (the Point Linux 2.2 default) it needs a lot as you explained.

But "Menu > System > Preferences > Main Menu" or mozo in the terminal both bring up the Main Menu editor and are excellent alacarte substitutes as you pointed out.

Thanks for the tips!
jordan

Postby Maroman » 28 Dec 2013, 17:30

Jordan, the simplest solutions are the most difficult. at my example. I thought about very complicated solution instead look to preferences (sorry for being sometimes completely brainless).

I've checked. You can't install alacarte (of course it's in Debian repo) since you're about to uninstall all point and install a lot of gnome programs. and by the way. it's difficult to remember all names and substitutes for before known applications. horrible :Yahoo!: .

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Return to MATE Desktop