Booting PointLinux

Booting PointLinux

Postby Maroman » 19 Jun 2013, 17:43

during booting PL some info, warning etc appears.

firstly there is Glib warning, secondly fail (startpar service returned failure: plymouth).as far as I can find both are connected to plymouth which is used for graphical background during boot. in consequence plymouth service is not loaded.
the same effects are in liveCD and installed versions.
I've noticed that plymouth is check on in services. I check off and the fail info disappeared. but I think it is not good solution because there is no graphical gui during shutdown.
moreover I've installed other plymouth themes and have noticed that the glib warning appears with some themes and disappears with others. why? so I'm using solar instead PL standard theme.

is there any problem with plymouth? is it either debian or Point issue?
ride my bike,
Maroman

Re: Booting PointLinux

Postby jordan » 20 Jun 2013, 04:38

I saw the same behavior so I removed the plymouth packages after which I ran update-initramfs -u to get rid of all remnants of it. Now, all I see is text on startup and shutdown with no errors.

I like the PL plymouth theme and would love to be able to use it without the errors and warnings. I am running the Nouveau driver on the 32 bit version of PL 13.04.1.

I'm not sure if it's a current Debian issue but I did find http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=616360 which says it's been fixed.
jordan

Postby Maroman » 20 Jun 2013, 05:30

my last question was rather rhetoric. look how plymouth works well in ubuntu (I used ubuntu lts). during booting and shutting down you can see graphics instead sequence of letters and numbers.

jordan wrote: I removed the plymouth packages after which I ran update-initramfs -u to get rid of all remnants of it. Now, all I see is text on startup and shutdown with no errors.

(is your option correct? u means update. rather d should be used) you can switch on different theme instead. of course problem is not solved because during shutdown only text can be seen (without graphics).
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby jordan » 20 Jun 2013, 11:44

Maroman wrote:
(is your option correct? u means update. rather d should be used) you can switch on different theme instead. of course problem is not solved because during shutdown only text can be seen (without graphics).

SInce the update-initramfs script manages your initramfs images, I believe that option 'u' is correct as it updates the existing script. But, I could be wrong as I don't remember which option I chose. I do recall that without the command, plymouth would still show a pixelated image even after the plymouth packages were removed.

I realize that a lot of people like seeing a boot splash on startup and shutdown though the "geeks" and just plain curious users would not like an image hiding what's going on. I'm ambivalent about having one but I'm confident this issue in PL will be addressed at some point.

On an unrelated point, I am very surprised at how well the Nouveau driver has been working. I've always used the proprietary Nvidia driver in the past but thought I'd give Nouveau a chance. And it works nicely for me. Also, sometimes the proprietary driver can interfere with plymouth but that doesn't appear to be the case here.
jordan

Return to Point Linux Full Edition Support