One week with Point!

One week with Point!

Postby sebau1995 » 29 Jun 2013, 14:35

This last week I've been using Point on my main desktop. The performance is great, and I really like the feel of Mate desktop. Still, there are something that are not wrong, but could be improved a bit. For example, after installation Microsoft Windows is not detected, an update fixed that and now it shows up on grub, maybe its a good idea to rebuild the installation cd to have the update included. Another one is that even when I set Firefox to open on a new tab it still opens the last open tabs. Also, I have my system set to spanish and Chromium displays in english. Maybe, it is a good idea to make the update manager check every week and not per day default.

Also want to thank for Compiz, its great!...Can somebody tell me how to enable the magic lamp effect?

I don't know if anybody has mentioned them before or not, if yes then I'm sorry for reposting, I'm just trying to help.
sebau1995

Re: One week with Point!

Postby Maroman » 29 Jun 2013, 18:46

sebau1995 wrote: after installation Microsoft Windows is not detected, an update fixed that and now it shows up on grub,

maybe try sudo update-grub

sebau1995 wrote:Another one is that even when I set Firefox to open on a new tab it still opens the last open tabs. Also, I have my system set to spanish and Chromium displays in english

firefox. preferences should be set. first tab - general and it works.
chromium. language package should be installed manually. try synaptic to find it.
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 01 Jul 2013, 09:37

Hello, sebau1995!
sebau1995 wrote:For example, after installation Microsoft Windows is not detected, an update fixed that and now it shows up on grub, maybe its a good idea to rebuild the installation cd to have the update included.

Honestly speaking you're the first who got this problem. Windows version?
sebau1995 wrote:Another one is that even when I set Firefox to open on a new tab it still opens the last open tabs.

Have you closed Firefox properly before you shut down your PC? Because this is what you get with improperly closed Firefox browser and I see nothing bad about it.
sebau1995 wrote:Also, I have my system set to spanish and Chromium displays in english.

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install chromium-l10n
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby sebau1995 » 01 Jul 2013, 11:54

Thanks Peter!

The version of Windows is XP, i don't know why but grub didn't get updated, then i did an update that installed a kernel i think and windows show now on the menu. What is strange is that i installed point on another computer that has also windows xp and it showed up from the first boot, the only difference i can find between both is that the first pc has one HD and the second one has 2HD, on with point and the other with win.

With firefox i thinks its a bug or something because im closing it everytime i shut down the pc and when i boot up again my tabs are still there (even when i have the setting to start with a new page). Also why is duck duck go default? i mean, the person how cares about google collecting info or something knows how to change google for duck, but the person how doesnt care just prefers to use google and doesnt know how to enable it...

thanks for the chromium tip, didn't know that one.

Well my english is not very good and i did my best, im using point on two desktop pcs now!
sebau1995

Return to Point Linux Full Edition Support