Question about Grub on start up.

Question about Grub on start up.

Postby TNFrank » 18 Sep 2013, 19:15

I've noticed that every time I start my laptop I get the Grub menu prompt. Is this normal or should I do something so it'll automatically go to the first line of the prompt and boot to that without me needing to tell it to boot to the first line? Thanks, great Distro so far. ;)
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Re: Question about Grub on start up.

Postby jordan » 18 Sep 2013, 20:45

In a terminal window, type: sudo apt-get install startupmanager

Or open Synaptic and search for startupmanager, and install.

In startup-manager, choose the default operating system, Point Linux. Also, change the timeout to 0 seconds.

Let us know if that works for you.
jordan

Postby TNFrank » 18 Sep 2013, 21:06

Thanks, I'll give that a try. :D

Ok, got it installed, set it for 2 seconds and it was a lot faster moving past the Grub menu. I guess I could set it for zero seconds and not even see Grub. Thanks again. ;)
TNFrank

Postby jordan » 18 Sep 2013, 21:22

TNFrank wrote:Ok, got it installed, set it for 2 seconds and it was a lot faster moving past the Grub menu. I guess I could set it for zero seconds and not even see Grub. Thanks again. ;)

Great! Glad you got it working the way you want :-).
jordan

Postby Maroman » 18 Sep 2013, 21:26

I do not think if it helps (as far as I understand your question). I think it's normal. it is simple notice/very short information (for a while) that loading program (grub) starts. it's first step (whole process is realized in three steps) and also first program loaded by firmware. changing parameters you change the way grub chooses and loads os.
using startup manager is setting parameters and values in grub config file located at /etc/default. and
Code: Select all
GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
means you start your default os without any delay and screen of choice. I hope I'm clear.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby TNFrank » 18 Sep 2013, 21:31

From what I've seen the Screen Choice(i.e. MATE or something else) comes at log in. This is before that when you can choose Standard or Recovery mode or mem test. I installed this on my back up laptop and set it to zero and you don't even see that screen anymore which is the way other Op Systems have worked for me in the past. You select what you want one time and from there on out you don't even see that screen anymore. Anyway, it's working the way I want it to now. 8-)
TNFrank

Return to Point Linux Full Edition Support