Random kernel panic

Random kernel panic

Postby mich3lin » 28 Jan 2014, 15:37

Hi,
I've recently installed PointLinux and sometimes I get error on boot saying "kernel panic not syncing fatal exception in interrupt". The weird thing about this is, that it's completely random. I can boot w/o any issues several times and then from all of the sudden...freeze. I have already tried looking on general debian forums but didn't help me much. Also, I tried to edit grub if there isn't something wrong, setting to boot only with one cpu core, etc. but nothing seems to help.
Specs:
Intel Atom N550, nVidia ION
Thanks in advice.
mich3lin

Re: Random kernel panic

Postby Pry » 28 Jan 2014, 15:45

Are you on amd64 build?
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby mich3lin » 28 Jan 2014, 15:48

No, I rather choosen 32bit, as I had already some issues with 64bit Ubuntu, even that this ntb should support 64 w/o issues.
mich3lin

Postby Pry » 28 Jan 2014, 16:14

I've googled a bit and couldn't find anything that would resemble your situation. It would be great to know your what motherboard are you using. What Point Linux version are you using? Have you tried running Windows or any other Linux (not Debian based) on this PC?

Are you 100% sure your hardware is okay? I would have checked CPU temp and RAM. I would have also checked HDD cables (including the HDD power cable, it gave me a lot of troubles once) and PSU if it's a desktop PC.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby mich3lin » 28 Jan 2014, 16:22

Well, it's netbook so not much what I could check sadly, but RAM and HDD seems alright. And Win (which is currently as dual-boot) runs fine. Also, before I installed Point Linux, I had here Ubuntu instead which was working too. Anyway, I'm gonna try to install Debian now and see if it works right.
//EDIT:
I'm using stable version (2.2)
mich3lin

Postby Pry » 28 Jan 2014, 16:56

I really don't know what to advise here. Point Linux 2.2 is based on Debian Wheezy so the odds that you'll get a working Debian Wheezy if you have problems with Point Linux are small... If it's not a hardware problem I'd recommend two things:
1. Install a new kernel from backports. You can do it in not only in Debian but in Point Linux as well.
2. Try istalling a non-pae kernel (PL i386 ships with pae kernel by default). Again you don't have to remove PL to do it.

Please find a minute to write back and tell us how it went. Good luck ;)
Pry
Site Admin

Postby mich3lin » 28 Jan 2014, 19:44

Well, so I installed Debian, which was working but there weren't drivers for WiFi and also, I missed my MATE desktop (which I tried to install into Debian but the scheme was a bit broken) so after all, I couldn't resist not to install Point Linux back. And I've also seen that there's beta available. So I installed that and everything seems to be fine. Till now, no kernel panic errors or others. I think that when I was installing for the first time the installation got corrupted somehow, therefore these errors. So, If anyone gets these or similar errors I would probably suggest to re-install, before you try to repair things. I mean, if I re-installed straight away, I could save myself good 5 hours of debugging.
Anyway, thank you for your support and have a nice day.
mich3lin

Postby derdo » 24 Feb 2014, 18:50

I have similar problems sometimes on v3.0b with amd64 and with nvidia onboard card, sometimes when I start firefox or thunderbird everything freezes and the display gets stripes. Only restarting helps.

regards

Klaus
derdo

Return to Point Linux Full Edition Support