Feasible to move "/" to separate HD?

Feasible to move "/" to separate HD?

Postby LoneWolfiNTj » 01 Dec 2014, 04:32

Greetings, forum. I have a 10yo Dell desktop PC which triple-boots Point Linux, MS-DOS, and Windows-XP. The main hard disk is partitioned like so:
Partition 1 (primary): Point Linux "/boot" only. (100MB)
Partition 2 (primary): MS-DOS 6.22 (500MB)
Partition 3 (primary): MS-Windows-XP-Home (100GB)
Partition 4 (extended):
Slice 1: Point Linux "swap" (2GB)
Slice 2: Point Linux "/" (10GB) (KINDA SHORT ON SPACE!!!)

As you can see, "/" is way too small. What I'd like to do is, move "/" to a second hard disk (120GB instead of 10GB).

Alas, but when I installed Point Linux, I chose EXT4 for "/", instead of EXT3. Unfortunately, my Acronis Disk Director can't recognize EXT4, so I can't use that to just copy the whole "/" partition to the new disk. Rats.

So to copy files to the new disk, I'd have to put it in fstab and set it to automount as something, say "/NewDisk", restart, verify it's mounted, partition and format it as EXT4 using parted, then copy everything from "/" to "NewDisk" using cp on a SU terminal. I can see how to do that.

But then how do I tell Linux to mount the new disk as being "/" on reboot? Manually edit fstab to change the "/" line? Can that even be done while the system is running, without crashing the system? Or is another approach called for?
LoneWolfiNTj

Re: Feasible to move "/" to separate HD?

Postby Pinkeye » 01 Dec 2014, 16:34

i would do that from a livecd or something, so nothing in the / will get changed during the process.

1. fire up the livecd.
2. create the new partition meant for /.
3. just copy everything. make sure you preserve the owners and all thet stuff. i think it's 'cp -a' but i'm not sure, look it up in the manpage. personally, i would mount both disks using the terminal, with mount command, too, and not rely on any desktop automounting feature.
4. change fstab. yeah do that manually. just change it from "/dev/sda6 / something something" to "/dev/sdwhatever / something something". gparted will tell you the right whatever.
5. reboot, try it. if it works, you can erase the old /.
Pinkeye

Return to Point Linux Full Edition Support