Acer Aspire One ZG5 Graphics Memory upgrade.

Acer Aspire One ZG5 Graphics Memory upgrade.

Postby TNFrank » 18 Jan 2014, 13:40

I read on a web site that there are drivers that can be installed to increase the amount of memory that the Intel 945 graphics chip set uses on the Acer Aspire One ZG5 from the 8MB that it currently sets aside up to 244MB. Unfortunately the guy was running Windows 7 and I have no idea where to find the Accelerated Graphics Drivers that he was using for Point Linux/Debian. Since I've upgraded my RAM to the full 1.5GB I have plenty to use for graphics and would like to bump it up if I can but after an extensive search on the interweb I've still yet to find anything that'll let me increase the amount of graphics memory that's being used.
If anyone can help me find a link or tell me what I need to tweak to get more memory set aside for graphics I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Re: Acer Aspire One ZG5 Graphics Memory upgrade.

Postby TNFrank » 20 Jan 2014, 19:36

So does anyone have any kind of clue as to where I can find the 945 GME Accelerated Graphics Drivers for my Netbook? I'd really like to up the amount of RAM it uses for graphics from 8MB to 244MB.
TNFrank

Postby Maroman » 21 Jan 2014, 06:58

Frank, it seems to be very specific problem and maybe difficult to solve. I had some hardware problems also and found solutions mostly on arch wiki or here http://www.linlap.com/acer (links to all acer notebooks). it took me half a year!

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby TNFrank » 21 Jan 2014, 13:03

There is a Graphics Accelerator Driver for the 945 chip set that's in this netbook that'll update the memory allocated for graphics from it's current 8MB to 244MB. It's just that the web site where I read about it was running Windows 7 and not Linux. I need to find the driver update to install for a Debian system to make it allocate more memory for graphics. I know that someone has to know where I can find such a driver or other such tweak to force this netbook to use more of the RAM for graphics.
In many laptops you can set this from BIOS but not on this netbook. There has to be a driver installed to force it to use more memory.
TNFrank

Postby TNFrank » 23 Jan 2014, 15:05

Ok, from what someone over at the Ubuntu Forums told me the amount of RAM used for video/graphics processing is set at a minimum of 8MB in BIOS but can increase up to 244MB automatically as demand goes up. So, I guess I really don't need to do anything or install anything because it's all taken care of automatically. :ROFL:
TNFrank

Return to Sound and Multimedia