Streaming video on TV

Streaming video on TV

Postby GB Jim » 26 Jan 2014, 21:23

Hi, I have a Toshiba HD television. My wife and I want to watch streaming video like ESPN3 on our big screen TV.

When I hook my HDMI cable up to Windoze 7 (which I hate to have to use) and the TV I get the streaming video inside my Firefox browser and on the TV.

When I hook my HDMI cable up to Linxu, all I get is my desktop. The Firefox browser doesn't show up, so no streaming video to watch.

Does anyone know what is going on? Does the TV just not support Linux? Am I missing some piece of software? Am I missing a browser plugin?
I doubt it is the browser plugin. The browser does not show up. I would guess the TV does not support LInux, but I do get my desktop. The other is I am missing some piece of software in my system. I have only tried this with Solus and Point, and had the same result with both.

If anyone had the answer, or a good guess, please let me know.

Thanks
Jymm
GB Jim

Re: Streaming video on TV

Postby Maroman » 27 Jan 2014, 04:30

Jim, generally there is a problem with hdmi and linux. I tried to watch yt from computer through hdmi and there were problem with sound. maybe something is wrong with drivers.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 27 Jan 2014, 04:33

Hello, Jim!

Well, it looks like to me it's possible but it's not an easy task. Never tried to make things like that, so no ideas here. Please tell us what video card you're using on your PC, this might be helpful.

Sorry for going off topic, I'd recommend you not to try connecting your PC to TV but to build (or buy) a dedicated XBMC based device. XBMC is an open source project and it runs on virtually everything now from Linux/Windows based PCs to Raspberry PI or even Android devices. And it looks like there's even an ESPN3 plugin for it.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby GB Jim » 29 Jan 2014, 01:12

Thanks guys. Kind of what I figured. I am not even sure what the video card is, it is a HP G60-549DX notebook. As I said, i use Windoze 7 now for live streaming. It drives me crazy, as it takes so long to boot, up and then as I hardly ever use it, it starts instantly updating, which just slows everything down and makes the streaming choppy. For the amount of things I want to watch it is not worth spending extra money. My wife and I might watch four or five games that way a year of local teams that are not on TV but are on live streaming.

I guess I was hoping there was something easy I was missing. Seems that is not the case. I will just stick with it for the little I need it. Again thanks.
GB Jim

Return to Sound and Multimedia