How to monitor system temperature on Linux

How to monitor system temperature on Linux

Postby drum » 07 Nov 2013, 16:04

In most cases, you are not supposed to be worried about the temperature of your computer. Barring manufacturing defects, hardware is designed so that its temperature does not exceed maximum operating temperature. But even without any hardware fault, overheating can occur due to various software issues, e.g., buggy graphics card driver, misconfigured fan control program, malfunctioning CPU frequency scaling daemon, etc.
Overheating may become serious enough to cause permanent damage on your hardware. So watch out for any overheating issue in your system. Even better, have temperature monitoring system in place, so that you will be alerted if system temperature suddenly goes up.
In the following, I will describe how to set up psensor to monitor the temperature of CPUs and hard drives.
psensor can visualize system temperature based on the information obtained from other tools such as lm-sensors and hddtemp. Thus you need to install psensor along with those prerequisites.
To install psensor on Point linux/Debian:
Code: Select all
$ sudo apt-get install lm-sensors hddtemp psensor

Before launching psensor, you need to configure lm_sensors and hddtemp first.
lm_sensors configuration
To configure lm_sensors, run the following command. Choose YES to every question.
$ sudo sensors-detect

This command will probe for and detect embedded sensors in your hardware (including CPUs, memory controllers, I/O chips), and automatically determine which driver modules need to be loaded to check temperature on your system.
Once sensor probing is completed, you will be asked to add detected driver module(s) to /etc configuration, so they can be loaded automatically upon boot.
On Debian, detected driver modules will be added to /etc/modules. On Fedora, the driver information will be added to /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors.
Next, proceed to load necessary modules as follows.
$ sudo /etc/init.d/kmod start

hddtemp configuration
You also need to launch hddtemp which monitors the temperature of hard drives.
Run the following command to launch hddtemp as a daemon. Replace “/dev/sda” with the disk drive to monitor on your system.
$ sudo hddtemp -d /dev/sda

To start monitoring temperature with psensor, simply run:
$ psensor

The psensor window will show a list of available sensors, and visualize temperature readings from these sensors. You can selectively enable or disable each sensor.
Point Linux = freedom, reliability, stability, configurability, flexibility, security Image

The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.

point linux = semper fidelis
drum

Re: How to monitor system temperature on Linux

Postby jordan » 07 Nov 2013, 16:22

Thanks drum.

I typically don't check my temps very often. When I do, I check them in the BIOS or use the MATE Sensors Applet.
jordan

Re: How to monitor system temperature on Linux

Postby Maroman » 07 Nov 2013, 16:50

don't forget about conky Image

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Return to Tutorials and Howtos