lightdm, follow-up

lightdm, follow-up

Postby Maroman » 15 Nov 2013, 10:54

lightdm is display and login manager.

autologin
to log into the system without password (so called autologin) we can change only one/two lines in config file. to edit the file (only as a root) we can use the command
Code: Select all
gksu pluma lightdm.conf

look at /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf. there are lines
#autologin-user=
#autologin-user-timeout=0

changing (as a root) the first line as follows
autologin-user=<user>

where parameter <user> - your id in the system, must be used (doesn't work without parameter).
second line can be set as you wish.
every next login the above set parameters are valid. in the same way we can go back to authorize login with password.

background
but if we use password let's change the default background (additionally, but not in this version but later there is also your icon instead computer during login). lightdm uses greeters for some graphical parameters. greeters are different due to used gui. so here we have gtk-greeter. let's edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf and look at line starting with background parameter
background=<path_to_wallpaper>

default <path_to_wallpaper> is different for different gui.
we have at least two options.
first. let's set solid color. we only need its hexadecimal representation. the said line is as follows
background=#061C3B

for color examination I use http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html. if not you can always experiment with Pick a Color (just press the button with color next to Colors parameter), the part of Appearance Preferences.

second. let's use our own wallpaper. as usual there are some restrictions but if you copy (of course as a root) your jpg|png picture file to /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/pointlinux/ you can use it as a background parameter. for example my greeter conf file looks like here
background=/usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/pointlinux/Cherries_in_Ice_Cubes_1600x900.jpg
#background=#061C3B
#background=/usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/pointlinux/desktop_blueprint-1600x900.jpg
#background=/usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/pointlinux/default.jpg
#background=/usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/pointlinux/suse_alt_blue-1600x900.jpg
I've copied more wallpapers for changing them manually from time to time (unfortunately I deleted original wallpaper so there is no path to it).

have a nice time to experiment :evil:

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Re: lightdm, follow-up

Postby jordan » 15 Nov 2013, 14:33

I've got my login wallpaper customized using a background that I like. But I've never known or researched very much how to change the small square login box in the middle of the page (you enter your name and password there). Another idea I have is that I'd like to adapt the Ubuntu login page, which looks very modern for Point. In other words, remove all the Ubuntu references and replace them with Point and the Point logos but keep the general look. If I only had more time.............................. :roll:
jordan

Re: lightdm, follow-up

Postby Maroman » 15 Nov 2013, 18:30

Jordan. your problem is not so easy. not on user level. it's problem of greeters. there is only one (gtk) in Debian repository. so it is not possible to change the layout of login screen by installing another one. is it easy or possible to create another greeter? I do not know. Unity has different greeter. the question is if it possible to install it to Point (is it either clever or possible :P ?)

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Return to Tutorials and Howtos