New user and questions about point linux

New user and questions about point linux

Postby yro » 09 Oct 2013, 03:04

Hi all.

Sorry about my english but try to read my questions.

Im downloading right now the point linux x64 2.2 full setup. Maybe will have time to try it on the weekend...

1) Is there an ubuntu 11.10 theme forked to work with this point linux release? If so, where can I get it?

2) What is the difference between the core and the full editions? Im thinking about grabin the core but Im scared that when installing it on my machine it will bring me a desktop without the usability i want.

Please try to explain the differences between the two editions so I can decide what to install here.

Thanks for your time and, again, sorry about my english...

From Brazil here. see ya..
sorry about my english.
yro

Re: New user and questions about point linux

Postby Maroman » 09 Oct 2013, 04:13

ad 1. what theme do you mean? Point is Debian not Ubuntu.
ad 2. look at http://pointlinux.org/download.html. generally, the difference is in number of applications and usage of non-free drivers and codecs. full version is recommended.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 09 Oct 2013, 09:07

yro, there's also a wiki page for the 13.02 version. Look for the 'Key applications present in ...' sections. It suits for 2.2 mostly as well as both releases share the same repository.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby yro » 09 Oct 2013, 18:19

thanks guys.

I was thinking about making point linux an substitute to the old school ubuntu. So I intend to use the ubuntu-mono icon theme and the ambience and the other (I forgot the name) from ubuntu 11.x version. So I want to know if You have these packages modified to work with point linux or if I will have to figure out how to make it works for me.

My point is to have an distro that features the old school feel and visual, as ubuntu did in the past, but using an updated rock solid base, as debian is.

Ill check out the infos about the two rleases but I have one question here:

* I have an amd athlon 2 x2 250 processor + radeon hd 4350 gpu + 4gb ram ddr3 to use linux on it.

The "core" edition of point linux will work for me? Sure, Ill install the amd legacy driver on it..
sorry about my english.
yro

Return to Other Topics