Point Linux 3.0 beta screenshot

Point Linux 3.0 beta screenshot

Postby Pry » 24 Nov 2013, 12:53

First Point Linux 3.0 beta screenshot! It is based on Debian Jessie and MATE 1.6 or 1.8. ;)

Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Re: Point Linux 3.0 beta screenshot

Postby drum » 24 Nov 2013, 13:04

looks great and promising Pry, any chance on getting a iso for this one?
Point Linux = freedom, reliability, stability, configurability, flexibility, security Image

The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.

point linux = semper fidelis
drum

Postby Pry » 24 Nov 2013, 13:27

Sure, a bit later though... Have to fix some pretty serious glitches first.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby jordan » 24 Nov 2013, 17:38

Nice Peter.....now that Point has gained a consistent following, version 3 will offer a great choice to old and new users alike. :Bravo:
jordan

Postby Pry » 24 Nov 2013, 18:14

Jordan, long time no see... ;)

Yeah, I'm glad everything goes pretty smooth so far, and I hope MATE team will release 1.8 soon and we'll see it in PL 3 branch. PL3 is a 'testing' branch so don't expect it to be as stable and polished as PL2, but we have to move forward, haven't we? :twisted:
Pry
Site Admin

Postby drum » 24 Nov 2013, 20:59

Peter, is there gonna be a full and a core version on this release?
Point Linux = freedom, reliability, stability, configurability, flexibility, security Image

The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.

point linux = semper fidelis
drum

Postby jordan » 24 Nov 2013, 21:25

Pry wrote:Yeah, I'm glad everything goes pretty smooth so far, and I hope MATE team will release 1.8 soon and we'll see it in PL 3 branch. PL3 is a 'testing' branch so don't expect it to be as stable and polished as PL2, but we have to move forward, haven't we? :twisted:

I will really like being able to boot into PL2 (stable) or PL3 (testing, but stable relatively speaking). Don't forget to differentiate between the two in the grub menu :) .

Thanks for your hard work Peter. To paraphrase Maroman, quality is the best promotion of all (but a little help from reviewers and DW can't hurt either.) :D
jordan

Postby Pry » 25 Nov 2013, 04:12

drum wrote:Peter, is there gonna be a full and a core version on this release?

Yeah, I think so. It's getting harder to fit Core components on a CD though...
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Maroman » 25 Nov 2013, 10:15

I'm fan and support the project. But I hope that Point 3 will be big step forward not just changing repository procedure. So can we slightly compare the versions?

I'm not afraid Debian testing repositories. Using sid at my desktop for almost a year I can say that is very stable and errors are very seldom. So testing Jessy should be rock solid distro.
But two infos. first, after two years of thinking debian project is about to add mate to repo. second, there is (submitted in DW) another debian plus mate distribution http://www.vk-informatica.com/wakawa_mate_en.php. of course even at the moment Point is not the only one (snowlinux, lmde) but year by year the number of competitors increases. good for us.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 25 Nov 2013, 11:10

Maroman wrote:But I hope that Point 3 will be big step forward not just changing repository procedure.

Marek, Point Linux is not about the 'big steps', it's rather about the 'comfortable desktops'. ;) But, speaking of MATE 1.6, it's very different under the hood as you know, so I struggle to keep about the same functionality we have in PL2.X. Don't expect big steps this time.

You say there are lots of MATE based distros. I agree. But it looks like it's a 'quantity over quality' issue so far... :( Correct me if I'm wrong.
Pry
Site Admin

Next

Return to Other Topics