Point Linux 3.0 beta screenshot

Re: Point Linux 3.0 beta screenshot

Postby Maroman » 25 Nov 2013, 12:22

Pry wrote:You say there are lots of MATE based distros. I agree. But it looks like it's a 'quantity over quality' issue so far... :( Correct me if I'm wrong.

absolutely, and because of that I've been using Point at my main laptop since 13.04 version :good: . I hope to stay here longer :friends: .

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby nekomajin » 25 Nov 2013, 18:06

Looks very great. Very good job! I think I will stay with 2.x PL. But, surely, take a look at 3.x :good:
Have a good time with Point Linux.
nekomajin

Postby yro » 25 Nov 2013, 18:54

The only reason that I was glad to see the born of Point Linux was that with PL the legacy people could continue to use Linux with almost updated software on it...

Now I see that PL 3 is going to break this line bringing You guys the jessie and saying goodbye for everybody else, me included, with the NO SUPPORT for legacy AMD drivers..

Im glad that Ive started my own project that brings debian wheezy, updated, with kernel + firmwares, some tweaks here and there and mate 1.6, updated softwares, etc.

Well, I guess its a good bye from me to point linux.
sorry about my english.
yro

Postby Pry » 26 Nov 2013, 01:38

Yro, it's totally your call if you want to say goodbye to Point Linux, but I see no reasons for your anger, 'cause, as I said many times on the forums, PL2.X branch will stay also. Consider it a 'stable' or 'LTS' release. PL3 is a beta version and it will remain beta for a long time. We just can't stay on Wheezy and MATE 1.4 forever.

Yet, who told you Point Linux 3 will not have legacy AMD drivers? The beta has just started and who told you it wouldn't appear in PL3 if I get many requests? ;)

Good luck to you with your project. :Bravo:
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby yro » 26 Nov 2013, 02:22

well... I really hope that You make an PL3 with legacy kernel (3.2.x.x) and legacy xord so i can continue to use it with my amd hd 4350 card..

plus im thinking about releasing my project as a comcept, an tutorial, so anyone can have an debian updated but with legacy compatibility and updated aplications.
sorry about my english.
yro

Postby Maroman » 27 Nov 2013, 09:36

yro wrote:well... I really hope that You make an PL3 with legacy kernel (3.2.x.x) and legacy xord so i can continue to use it with my amd hd 4350 card.
I think that this Radeon card is not so old, so you are afraid too early. I'm using much older nvidia card in my desktop (generally all my computers are from between 2005-2007) with sid and all work great. of course as far as home works (not gaming for example) are concerned. mate works in 2D mode so it doesn't need the newest, the strongest technologies. first try then apply (and say) or not. otherwise it's fud :evil:

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby yro » 27 Nov 2013, 19:51

the amd radeon hd 4xxx, 3xxx and 2xxx are on now legacy card from AMD so they will not receive any updates concerning compatibility with new kernels or xorgs... only bugfixes.

so, in my case, the only way to use linux with a full working desktop is with debian 7 or derivatives from it. my card is compatible with kernel upto 3.4 and xorg 1.11.

if PL is going to be made on top of jessie so Im fu#up and Ill be forced to say good bye for PL.

You say that I can use what? MESA? ok, fine.. and my money goes where? the money that I spent to build my desktop goes where? I have an desktop and I want to use it as a full desktop, with all my hardware working on full stage, not a dumb videodriver that cant even handle the thermal management from my videocard. No way I will stay on PL3 and lose the power of my desktop just because... just because...

thats the point...
sorry about my english.
yro

Postby GB Jim » 30 Nov 2013, 20:05

Yeah, I think so. It's getting harder to fit Core components on a CD though...

I understand that, and see many distros that are to large for a CD even if "light" or "core". I am glad when one will fit on a CD, but understand a lot of people have gone to DVD and USB drives for the install. I am guessing it is up to you. Still it runs so fast on older machines, the core is still valuable. Hope you can make it fit a CD, but understandable if you cannot.
GB Jim

Postby dab » 01 Dec 2013, 09:35

Just an idea now that point linux is getting better and better each release
what about a new gui installer or even a choice to bootup to setup from
the grub type menu where it says try point linux.
An example of this is crunchbang they use the debian installer moded
to there os with there scripts maybe can look into it thanks
dab

Postby Maroman » 03 Dec 2013, 07:44

Peter, is there any schedule for newer release :D ? Asking because yesterday I was trying to install newer kernel from backports. But it wanted me to delete some of point elements (starting with plymouth, what is not dangerous I suppose. but what next?). With newer kernel I can use my flash card reader.
Do you think it's good idea to force all newer applications from wheezy-backport to be installed. Debian recommendations are opposite. But there are only kernels, libreoffice and some libraries.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

PreviousNext

Return to Other Topics