Anyone tried wattos

Anyone tried wattos

Postby dab » 01 Jun 2014, 01:20

Seems over at wattos they have made a nice debian stable with latest mate desktop
i not tried it yet still on pointlinux some nice reviews on youtube
dab

Re: Anyone tried wattos

Postby guy » 02 Jun 2014, 11:30

Yes I tried on my Virtual Box. The distro isn't mature yet. My nvidia cart isn't recognized, the updating system doesn't work (you have use synaptic to updating).
There is actually mate 1.8, but no Compiz, and on top of that the system is based on a mix of two versions of debian (wheezy and Jessie), a potentially risk of problems.
You had better wait the next point linux !

Guy
guy

Postby Maroman » 03 Jun 2014, 09:13

guy wrote:There is actually mate 1.8, but no Compiz, and on top of that the system is based on a mix of two versions of debian (wheezy and Jessie), a potentially risk of problems.
You had better wait the next point linux !

using mate 1.8 from testing repository disqualifies the distro. mate 1.8 is not finished yet. mozo doesn't work, I do not know if x-caja bug from 1.6 is fixed or not. there is also no bluethooth. I understand it as a joke or test for future releases (almost everybody can prepare similar home-brewed distro basing on standard debian in at least 5 minutes).

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby dab » 03 Jun 2014, 15:51

iam using mate 1.8 on my pointlinux not from debian testing using the main mate repo seems smooth on my end maybe when its on testing theres wee bugs as officialy mate 1.8 been released for a while now
dab

Postby Az4x4 » 04 Jun 2014, 20:39

dab wrote:..Seems over at wattos they have made a nice debian stable with latest mate desktop. i not tried it yet still on pointlinux some nice reviews on youtube..

I installed WattOS R8 64bit on an empty partition and found it a mixed bag. Reported the two major issues I found with it (http://planetwatt.com/newforum/index.php?topic=26.0) on the WattOS forums. Found a solution to the issue of not being able to edit the "Applications Places System" menu in MATE 1.8 via a link to another site, but a solution to WattOS R8 refusing to accept my password to preform tasks requiring password authorization (Gdebi, Update Manager and VirtalBox for example) continues to elude me.. I'm not the only one who's experienced these problems, so even though WattOS R8 is a nice effort I'll happily stick with Point Linux 2.3.1 and its lack of such issues..
How to become a Super User: Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape ... or boot to root, your choice!
Az4x4

Return to Other Topics