An Unexpected Hit!

An Unexpected Hit!

Postby ausmuso » 09 Sep 2014, 06:43

Two weeks ago my brother-in-law emailed me from Holland and asked what did I know about Point Linux. I was intrigued enough to go and find out so I installed the 64-bit version on my desktop.

A great experience! I installed from the live disk and had a working system going in no time flat. This must be about the easiest way to get a Debian-stable system onto your machine, ideal for people who use Linux as a work horse and prefer rugged dependability over bleeding edge hype. Better still, the Point Linux gurus smooth over some of Debian's extreme orthodoxy and install some goodies like Firefox and Thunderbird.
The whole system feels well thought out and it's extremely easy to use. Full marks to the Point Linux designers!

A few minor niggles: the Mate desktop feels like a bit of a timewarp to me. It's fine with older "almost square" monitors but with wide-screen models the two horizontal taskbars do eat noticeably into the useable desktop space. Lots of people love still Mate though and anyway, a desktop is just a way to get at your apps. I suppose I could get used to it although for the moment I still prefer the more modern LXDE.

I didn't like the boot splash screen much but then I hate all boot splash screens! Why do Distro producers keep throwing them in? They are an unnecessary obstacle, they keep you from following the boot process and make it just that bit more difficult to pinpoint problems during boot-up. Luckily boot splash screens are easily got rid of!

The Point Linux forums seem a bit quiet. But then there is such a wealth of help and information in the Debian Wikis and forums, maybe that's where many Point Linux users go for their help. Maybe we could all go and liven things up a bit here.

Am I going to recommend Point Linux? Most definitely! Will I stay with it? Certainly, at least for a while ;)
Linux from 1997 (Slackware, Caldera, Red Hat, Mandrake, (Open)SuSE, Poppy, Ubuntu, CentOS, Mint 13 & LMDE, Crunchbang)

If at first you don't succeed . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . skydiving is not for you!
ausmuso

Re: An Unexpected Hit!

Postby Maroman » 09 Sep 2014, 08:04

ausmuso wrote:A few minor niggles: the Mate desktop feels like a bit of a timewarp to me. It's fine with older "almost square" monitors but with wide-screen models the two horizontal taskbars do eat noticeably into the useable desktop space. Lots of people love still Mate though and anyway, a desktop is just a way to get at your apps. I suppose I could get used to it although for the moment I still prefer the more modern LXDE.

you can always delete or generally change both the position and panel orientation (horizontal or vertical). I'm using only one (of four available) panel/taskbar
there is also hide panel option to have all desktop free. what about setting panel in vertical way?
ausmuso wrote:I didn't like the boot splash screen much but then I hate all boot splash screens! Why do Distro producers keep throwing them in? They are an unnecessary obstacle, they keep you from following the boot process and make it just that bit more difficult to pinpoint problems during boot-up. Luckily boot splash screens are easily got rid of!

only one word less in your grub config file
Code: Select all
#standard
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
#without splash
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

and of course update-grub for writing new settings plus sevices (to uncheck plymouth).

I like both - mate and lxde but mate has better setting gui. try to set for example brightness in these desktops to compare.

and finally. it's Linux. you can set or choose all as you wish.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby ausmuso » 10 Sep 2014, 01:25

Maroman wrote:only one word less in your grub config file
Code: Select all
#standard
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
#without splash
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

and of course update-grub for writing new settings plus sevices (to uncheck plymouth).

Too right, Maroman, I've been doing that for years!
Maroman wrote: and finally. it's Linux. you can set or choose all as you wish.

Yes, and isn't that a great thing? ;)
Cheers!
Linux from 1997 (Slackware, Caldera, Red Hat, Mandrake, (Open)SuSE, Poppy, Ubuntu, CentOS, Mint 13 & LMDE, Crunchbang)

If at first you don't succeed . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . skydiving is not for you!
ausmuso

Postby nekomajin » 11 Sep 2014, 18:11

ausmuso wrote:
Maroman wrote:and finally. it's Linux. you can set or choose all as you wish.

Yes, and isn't that a great thing? ;)
Cheers!

It's one of the best thing on every linux-distri, that you can choose so many things. It's a great OS.
Have a good time with Point Linux.
nekomajin

Return to Other Topics