Is there anyone using this site?

Is there anyone using this site?

Postby GB Jim » 14 Jan 2017, 13:03

Is there anyone using this site? Is anyone running Point Linux? Do you think this site is dead? Is Point Linux dead?
GB Jim

Re: Is there anyone using this site?

Postby MrNovi » 19 Jan 2017, 18:05

I check back about once a month or so, but don't see much (if any) activity so it sure looks like it's dead. I'm still waiting for answers to questions I posted over 6 months ago. I know of several people (including a couple of YouTube broadcasters) who have abandoned Point due to lack of development with the 3.x series. The SSD i had my 3.2 on died a couple of weeks ago and due to the amount of hassles I had getting Compiz working on it along with it's inability to work with Nvidia Maxwell (900 series) cards pushed me to switch to another distro. I loved 2.3.x and still have it on one system, but unless Point becomes more active and supported better that will be my last install of Point. It's a shame as Point had been my distro of choice for most of my installed Linux needs (along with Knoppix for live media), but it just isn't holding up well.

I wonder if it has something to do with the area we are from and our ages Jim. I'm in Oconto Falls and about a year older than you.
MrNovi

Postby GB Jim » 21 Jan 2017, 11:47

Thanks for a response, I have to agree with you. I am moving on to Debian Jessie Mate and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Mate. I see from views some people do come here, but no one ever says a darn thing. Also no moderator has checked in for months, which is highly unusual. Frustrating at the least as I loved the Distro.

I also used the original Solus. I guess I have found it is better to stay with top distros, so you know that they will be there and active development will continue. It is to bad as it is a wonderful distro. Also to bad so many come here to view, but never participate. A lot of the distro and forum are the people that use it. Maybe some of the viewers could participate?

Good to see others our age using Linux. Also wife is from Oconto, and have in-laws in the Falls.
GB Jim

Postby MrNovi » 29 Jan 2017, 18:52

The fact that two weeks have passed since your initial post about this only the two of us have posted in the forums at all tells you something. It's definitely looking like the developers have abandoned the project, or at least support for it. It's a shame as 2.3.x was such a great distro. After seeing how many distros have gone belly up the last couple of years I think I'm going to stick with more established distros with a solid history of releases (the 'Buntus, Debian, Mint, PCLinuxOS, CentOS, Fedora, Knoppix, etc) and avoid most of the derivatives and Boutique distros that come and go all the time. I'm not into distro hopping. I want to install it and use it for as long as possible.
MrNovi

Postby pabloro65 » 30 Apr 2017, 22:38

I changed to MX Linux, excellent distro based on debian stable with kernel 4.7.0 :Yahoo!:
pabloro65

Return to Announcements