alternatives

Re: alternatives

Postby Maroman » 07 Mar 2016, 05:57

Jim, pay your attention on pclinux. looks promising. mate desktop with the newest software - at the moment 4.4.4 kernel, 5.1 lo and so on :Bravo: . I'm positively surprised :Yahoo!: .

moreover to some extend software management is similar to Debian one. it uses apt and synaptic to manage software.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby GB Jim » 09 Mar 2016, 12:56

I had actually played with PC Linux Gnome on a live CD years ago. I had installed Xandros as a dual boot on my XP machine and had nothing but trouble with the LILI boot loader. About every third time I rebooted XP would disappear from the LILI menu.(Does LILI even exist today?) That and a decent Win 7 (after the Vista disaster) kept me from installing another Linux system for years. When Windows 8 was announced I decide to move to Linux. I had decided on a Debian based install (SolusOS) because of the Gnome desktop, Apt-get, Synaptic and gdebi.

I took your advice Maroman and went to the PC Linux website to take a look. While not as impressed with RPM package management PC Linux does use Synaptic which is a plus. PC Linux also now offers the Mate desktop which I find the best suited for myself as I now find the new Gnome3 usuable. I like that the install ISO is only 759 MB. They also have a baby Mate that is only 490 MB (great, fits on a CD).

I prefer to add my own software rather than spend a lot of time cleaning up an OS that has tons of stuff I will never need or use. I also noticed it is systemd free, one of your major requirement. The only bad thing I have ever heard about PC Linux was newbies were treated quite rudely. That was years ago though, hopefully that has changed..

Thanks Maroman, I will give PC Linux an install on my test laptop.
GB Jim

Postby Maroman » 13 Mar 2016, 15:23

GB Jim wrote:I will give PC Linux an install on my test laptop.
at the moment with the newest kernel (4.4.5), firefox (45), libreoffice (5.1.1) and so on. sudo is also in repository. tomorrow I intend to test =@ PClinux MATE64 Deluxe (pclinuxos64-mate-deluxe-2016.03.iso). I'm too lazy 8) to start with minimal iso (I can't find it. it used to be but not know. I used to play with zen linux but it was ca six years ago).

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby GB Jim » 14 Mar 2016, 00:28

LOL, you are to lazy to use a minimal install. Well if anyone is looking for it, the Baby Mate (490 M) is under community releases.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/community-releases/
then
You can find all of the community releases here. (click on here)
then
http://communityiso.pclosusers.com/
then
http://communityiso.pclosusers.com/BabyMate/

I suppose it is all how you look at it and how much software you want. I am to lazy to remove all the software I don't want from big installs. Ultimate Edition is one, 4.2 GB. LOL. I would never install that big a OS.
GB Jim

Postby GB Jim » 19 Mar 2016, 11:39

I have been waiting for the official Debian Mate and it is now out. I am keeping Point Linux on my laptop, but I also installed Debian Jessie 8 (Mate) and will be using that as my main Distro from here on. I used the graphic installer. It was a bit harder than the Ubuntu installer but not unmanageable. If you are interested here is the download from Softpedia. It is a direct link, which is nice as the Debian site is a bit confusing.

I found the biggest thing with the graphical installer is if you single click it takes you right back to were you are, and if you double click it takes you to the page to change the install. You have to double click to pick the partition you want to install too, double click to format that partition and to set root. Otherwise is was pretty straight forward.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Linux-Di ... l#download

I also found a nice tutorial to use to get things working in Debian after installation. It is for XFCE but works for Mate too.

http://linuxgeekar.blogspot.com/2015/05 ... ebian.html

Debian starts in root by default, so this will help you set up your user account and give yourself sudo access. I would advise stable Jessie repos, not the testing repo unless you really know what you are doing. Also there is no auto login. I tried to find a good tutorial for auto-login, but did not. The tutorial will also show you how to add non-free and contrib repos, update firmware, install a firewall, manage networks, and add codecs and fonts.

I also added the Mozzilla build repo for Firefox, Seamonkey and Thunderbird as Ice Weasel and Ice Dove are included by default, though Chromium is included in the repo.. I also have the Chrome repository if you want Chrome. There is also Palemoon and Slimjet, if you want a Firefox or Chrome alternative. You have to download them and install them with gdebi, you also have to update them yourself as they do not have official Linux repos.

i am certainly no Linux expert, and am a GUI guy, so it was a bit of a challenge, but I accomplished the install without major problems.
GB Jim

Postby Abeille0767 » 09 May 2016, 14:18

I saw Rebellin Linux 3 is released:
https://therebellin.com/rebellin-linux-v3-released/

That seems to be a good alternative ...
Abeille0767

Postby jordan » 10 May 2016, 20:55

I installed Zenwalk, based on Slackware, and it is rocket fast. It handles dependencies when installing packages so it's sort of like an easy to use version of Slackware. I'm using XFCE for the DE and would recommend giving it a try.
jordan

Postby Abeille0767 » 21 May 2016, 00:39

In the Slackware family, I liked Salix.
I would give maybe has a chance at Uruk.

I still love MATE ;)
Abeille0767

Postby jenom » 02 Jun 2016, 22:48

if you are looking for real alternatives for Point Linux......forget about Distrowatch, and go straight to Sourceforge
search in "live linux os" category and you will find plenty of them.....21 pages
i prefer to use a Debian based, but forget about any Ubuntu or Mint remixes
You can try:
--tweaklinux
--antix
--star linux
--refracta os
jenom

Postby rob630 » 16 Apr 2018, 20:12

I still run Point 3.2 and Debian 8 with old stable repos. If Point evaporates, iwll just use Debian. Debian 9 has no Backgrounds, colors or emblems. Debian10 Buster does though. Go figure.
So im also running Debian 10 Buster Testing and those features are back. I will run old stable until Deb 10 Comes out 2nd or 3rd Quarter 2019 and just stay there. I have become tired of Distro hopping. LMDE is too unstable for me, the should have used stable. I don't use any Ubuntu or alternatives anymore. Always a little volatile and changes for changes sake like MS. I'm getting old and like my good old stable Debian now. Maybe if Point Comes out For Deb 10. I like Point just Because it was such a pretty and light paint job for Deb. Same repos with PL added. LMDE Installs Deb Software, makes their own repos, but it is based on unstable. I will Run Debian or Point now. I'm in my sixties and am tired of chasing unnecessary changes. I'm still curious, just not enough to start over from scratch. I spend more time making things work my way with my favorite distros. I hope Peter continues.
rob630

Previous

Return to Announcements