CDN is up finally!

Re: CDN is up finally!

Postby drum » 25 Nov 2013, 14:35

Fernando wrote:Hello everybody!!! I want to thank to Peter for this wonderfull distro. I like it very mucho. It has the beauty of the simple. But I encounter a problem that I can't resolve. When I try to install a package with synaptic i have very slow connection in the download, around 20 kb per second when my internet connection is around 700 kb per second. I know that CDN choose automatically the best server but not in my case. How can I fix it? Thanks!!!

allready done this?: http://wiki.pointlinux.org/index.php?ti ... Apt_Mirror
Point Linux = freedom, reliability, stability, configurability, flexibility, security Image

The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.

point linux = semper fidelis
drum

Postby Fernando » 25 Nov 2013, 14:52

Thanks for the answer. I did try this before post here but did't work for me. After I do this and choose the new server the 'Download from' show the same, not show the new server and the slow speed continue.
Fernando

Postby drum » 25 Nov 2013, 16:54

Is it a wired or a wireless connection?
Point Linux = freedom, reliability, stability, configurability, flexibility, security Image

The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.

point linux = semper fidelis
drum

Postby Fernando » 25 Nov 2013, 18:42

It's a wired connection.
Fernando

Postby Pry » 26 Nov 2013, 05:28

Hello, Fernando!

Thanks for your interest in Point Linux!

Let's first find out when the connection is slow for you. Is it slow for Point Linux repo packages only or for all packages you're trying to download with Point Linux. The information below makes sense if it's the first case. It's probably a hardware issue if it's not.

Drum's 'fastest mirror' suggestion is not completely correct, because:
a. the mirror selection via Synaptic currently applies to the Debian repos only;
b. all the 'cdn' prefixed repos should (at least in theory) automatically choose the best mirror available.

Why it doesn't work for you? The cdn.pointlinux.org repo has no mirror in Argentina or anywhere in South America so it falls back to the European (Russian) mirror yandex.ru which is very fast for us but it can be slow for you. There are only two mirrors at the moment, the first one is Yandex and the second one is Georgia Tech for North America. So in your case I recommend switching to the Georgia Tech mirror. You can also find someone willing to mirror the Point Linux repo (Universities is usually the best option for things like that) in Argentina.

P.S. Please start new topics in the appropriate section that are made for questions like this as your comment is not an announcement but clearly a support question.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Fernando » 27 Nov 2013, 11:32

Thanks Peter for the info!!. I solved the problem. My problem was the CDN mirror of the Debian repo, so I delete it and add one nearest to my location, and I have now very good speed in package downloads.

Sorry for post the question here.
Fernando

Previous

Return to Announcements