Point Linux 3.0 Beta 1 is out!

Point Linux 3.0 Beta 1 is out!

Postby Pry » 31 Dec 2013, 12:51

I announce the availability of the first beta release of Point Linux 3.0. The new version uses the latest Debian 8 (jessie) packages along with MATE 1.6 desktop environment. Just like the 2.X branch, Point Linux 3.0 aims to give users the classic Gnome 2 like look and feel combining it with the new Debian codebase. Point Linux Installer 1.7 skips the 'en_US' layout installation for latin-based keyboards (e.g. French). Point Linux 3.0 Beta 1 comes in 'core' and 'full' editions supporting i386 (PAE) and amd64 architectures.

Read the changelog

Download Point Linux 3.0 Beta 1
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Re: Point Linux 3.0 Beta 1 is out!

Postby johnm » 01 Jan 2014, 01:52

Happy New Year! and congrats for the release.

I tried the 64bit version, however, I can't install the wine-bin:386. It is not in the repos. In PL 2 with dpkg --add-architecture i386, apt-get update, apt-get install wine-bin:i38 I was able to run the MSWindows applications I needed. In the PL 3 beta?
johnm

Postby yro » 01 Jan 2014, 17:15

Well, Kernel: 3.11-2

Goodbye Point Linux. I wish the best for you guys with this distro but now Im farced to move away because my video card and support for newer kernels and xorgs... The way to go is wait for the Cinnamon 2 to be ported to lmde so I can install it on Debian wheezy.

Happy new year for everybody.
sorry about my english.
yro

Postby Pinkeye » 01 Jan 2014, 18:50

Pry wrote:I announce the availability of the first beta release of Point Linux 3.0. The new version uses the latest Debian 8 (jessie) packages along with MATE 1.6 desktop environment.

Jessie. Does it mean it will be rolling release, then?

yro wrote:Goodbye Point Linux.

What's wrong with Point 2.2?
Pinkeye

Postby yro » 01 Jan 2014, 22:21

Pinkeye wrote:
Pry wrote:I announce the availability of the first beta release of Point Linux 3.0. The new version uses the latest Debian 8 (jessie) packages along with MATE 1.6 desktop environment.

Jessie. Does it mean it will be rolling release, then?

yro wrote:Goodbye Point Linux.

What's wrong with Point 2.2?

2.2 has mate 1.4 and is older then 3.0... Whats the point on taking jessie as an base? if Jessie will be released only in a few years, has a lot of bugs, a lot of regressions, a lot of incompatibilities, a lot of ... lots lots.. of craps going on because its an testing branch... to be in pl 2.2 I (personal opinion) prefer to be with debian wheezy with the same apps, drivers, etc, but with the possibiliti of making it more robust and more attractive for my desktop. the same will be done when cinnamon 2 comes into debian stable backports as linux mint debian package...

my point only.
sorry about my english.
yro

Postby Pry » 02 Jan 2014, 03:01

Yro, I've repeated two or three times on the forums that Point Linux won't go away with the PL 3 release. More than that, its support will be stopped only if we (forum members) decide to do so.

yro wrote:2.2 has mate 1.4

Yes, 2.X branch has MATE 1.4 and that is a very STABLE version, it also has Compiz. It is ready for enterprise. MATE 1.6 is not so far IMO.

yro wrote:and is older then 3.0...

That's right, but we are not counting version numbers here, switching to the new distros/packages only because they are newer. Again, Point Linux is about stability above all. On the other hand as I said we have to move forward, very carefully of course. This is why there's 3.0 and this is why it's beta.

I don't understand your panic.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby yro » 02 Jan 2014, 03:39

my panic is all about new KERNELs + XORGs = NO LEGACY AMD DRIVERS support in debian jessie and others... as I explained before. And with the 3 beta and no informations about legacy support, the only thing that comes to my mind is what almost all distros do these days, to abandon legacy hardwares. But not Debian Wheezy. Thats why my only hope to have an flexible, rock solid, full featured and with atleast 3 ~ 5 years of support is with debian wheezy + cinnamon 2 (when released as backport from mint team) or mate 1.6/8 as it comes to public as stable. mate 1.4 is too old for me and my needs. and thats the problem with 2.2 for me.

but relax. Im jost another one that will look at other ways with debian wheezy + cinna or mate 1.6 or mate 1.8. I wish the best with Point Linux. and IF you continue to support legacy hardware, with some ISOs made for that matter, then I come back to check Point out, as some friends that are on the same situation as I, with legacy hardware that works nicely for our needs.
sorry about my english.
yro

Postby Pry » 02 Jan 2014, 04:38

yro wrote:mate 1.4 is too old for me and my needs.

What's 'old' about it except for its lower version number? In fact MATE 1.6 brings no notable improvements to users. Its aim is to move from mateconf to gsettings to provide compatibility with Gnome 3 for the future MATE versions. It is a hard task and I wish MATE devs luck with that.

yro wrote:but relax.

No worries here. ;)

yro wrote:Im jost another one that will look at other ways with debian wheezy + cinna or mate 1.6 or mate 1.8. I wish the best with Point Linux. and IF you continue to support legacy hardware, with some ISOs made for that matter, then I come back to check Point out, as some friends that are on the same situation as I, with legacy hardware that works nicely for our needs.

I see only you complaining so far...
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Maroman » 02 Jan 2014, 04:47

yro, not only English is your weak point. at the moment there are about two separate distros. Point2 (=stable Debian plus stable mate) and Point3 (=as above both testing). It's up to you what you choose. and there is third solution, namely Point2 plus backports. if you go to any way, there is exactly the same - old, new, mix versions.
what is your problem??
and on the other hand your exclamation is a bit impolite. you don't want, don't use. it's your private problem and your decision. don't bother us. we are mainly focused on technical not mental aspects. and there is third side. if you have any respect for person working for social profit, please do not say any word if it has no influence on Point getting better :no: .

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 02 Jan 2014, 04:49

Pinkeye wrote:Jessie. Does it mean it will be rolling release, then?

Nope. Jessie is testing not unstable that is Sid. Testing will turn into stable and currently stable (wheezy) will turn into oldstable. I try to stay away from Sid as it can break the toys (literally if you remember the Toy Story ;)). The last thing I want is to hear that users ran into problems after update. These things happen in Sid (rarely though).

I generally do not like the rolling release idea despite it looks pretty attractive at first sight. The reason is that the rolling release devs will be obliged to have a way deeper QC testing for all the packages and deps before they release them into the wild. Can I handle it? No. So no rolling here.
Pry
Site Admin

Next

Return to Announcements