Point Linux 3.0 Beta 1 is out!

Re: Point Linux 3.0 Beta 1 is out!

Postby DarkMatter » 15 Aug 2014, 06:07

Hi Peter!
Just some quick feedback....
I just tried the Point Linux 3.0 Beta 1. Solid as usual. :-)
Just 2 issues that I'm sure will be resolved.
1) USB 3G Modem (Huawei e303) not connecting
- I manually entered the APN, user name & password for my prepaid account but I could NOT connect

2) Shutting down
I took Beta 1 for a test drive via usb key and when I was done, I clicked the power off button on the top right of the screen but it kept hanging indefinitely until I simply pressed the power button on my laptop (Toshiba L305, dual core).

Otherwise, Point Linux is solid as ever!
Great job!

~Dark Matter
DarkMatter

Postby GB Jim » 15 Aug 2014, 23:37

Pry, Happy to see you are making progress on Point 3. Though I like the more stable 2.x branch and will be sticking with it for now, I will also download and install Point 3 on a USB drive to try it out. Eventually I want to move to Point 3 when it becomes ready. Please keep up the good work. Point is by far the best OS I have used.
GB Jim

Postby Maroman » 20 Aug 2014, 04:57

DarkMatter wrote:1) USB 3G Modem (Huawei e303) not connecting
- I manually entered the APN, user name & password for my prepaid account but I could NOT connect

I do not think is Debian problem. Rather on Huiwai side. the modem is old one but generally it is not supported. there is no problem in windows (all drivers are attached) but Linux does not support many modems. under one name there are as a matter of fact many different utilities - hilink, s1, s2 (you can check the exact name under the sim card holder) and so on.

there are routers to use with gsm modems (I'm using tp-link - look here) but e303 is not listed. You can use e3131 instead (there are also three or four sub-models. I'm using s2, all depends on gsm network). newer one, faster and works without any problems (I also use wvdial. it's not automatically configured but seems to be more stable than network manager).

cheers,

updated. the question is if Point sees modem properly. pls (in terminal) after inserting modem write
Code: Select all
ls -lh /dev/ttyU*

or
dmesg | grep tty

you can also check modem vendor(should be 12d1)/product id. just write
lsusb

maybe it's only modem problem to switch the mode (generally modem can be seen either as CD or as modem. but you do not know its state at the moment).
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby dek » 30 Oct 2014, 06:40

Hopefully the new version Point Linux 3.0 Beta 2 will be available in the next few days.
Stay tuned, guys... :)
dek

Postby Maroman » 09 Nov 2014, 04:14

dek wrote:Hopefully the new version Point Linux 3.0 Beta 2 will be available in the next few days.

where the fanfare, announcements here and there :Yahoo!: ?? it's ready :Bravo: and so?

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 09 Nov 2014, 04:58

Maroman wrote:
dek wrote:Hopefully the new version Point Linux 3.0 Beta 2 will be available in the next few days.

where the fanfare, announcements here and there :Yahoo!: ?? it's ready :Bravo: and so?

cheers,

Hello, Marek! :)

Point Linux is a humble distro so no fanfare. :) Seriously speaking, it is still just a beta, still lots of things to do, so it's too early to celebrate IMO though I'm very satisfied with the result this time and this beta is far more close to the final version than the first one. Another issue that we have is that there is no mirroring this time for some reason (images are only available on the pointlinux.org site so far), and I have to fix it before making an announcement on distrowatch.

I think I'll make an announcement here on the site though... :)
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Announcements