Point Linux 3.0 Beta 1 is out!

Re: Point Linux 3.0 Beta 1 is out!

Postby Pinkeye » 02 Jan 2014, 07:38

Pry wrote:
Pinkeye wrote:Jessie. Does it mean it will be rolling release, then?

Nope. Jessie is testing not unstable that is Sid. Testing will turn into stable and currently stable (wheezy) will turn into oldstable. I try to stay away from Sid as it can break the toys (literally if you remember the Toy Story ;)). The last thing I want is to hear that users ran into problems after update. These things happen in Sid (rarely though).

I generally do not like the rolling release idea despite it looks pretty attractive at first sight. The reason is that the rolling release devs will be obliged to have a way deeper QC testing for all the packages and deps before they release them into the wild. Can I handle it? No. So no rolling here.

Yep, i know how it works. My point (heh) is that testing moves (rolls), too -- so either Point Agni is built directly on testing (and thus it is rolling release, and not stable as in Debian 'stable' = doesn't move), or you move Debian repos elsewhere (similar to what Ubuntu does) and then maintain them yourself?

I dislike rolling release, too. I'm glad we share the general view :)
Pinkeye

Postby Pry » 02 Jan 2014, 08:29

Pinkeye wrote:My point (heh) is that testing moves (rolls), too -- so either Point Agni is built directly on testing (and thus it is rolling release, and not stable as in Debian 'stable' = doesn't move)

Well, it rolls in some way until it freezes and turns into stable, but anyway testing packages are far more stable as they come from Sid.

Pinkeye wrote:so either Point Agni is built directly on testing (and thus it is rolling release, and not stable as in Debian 'stable' = doesn't move), or you move Debian repos elsewhere (similar to what Ubuntu does) and then maintain them yourself?

The original Debian testing repo is used. I see no point copying Debian repos right now, like it's done for the 'semi rolling' LMDE for instance.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby johnm » 02 Jan 2014, 12:22

I hope this is a post for discussing technical problems about the beta version.

To report a few problems.

First I installed the 64bit version, but it was not possible to have WINE working. The wine-bin:1386 was missing.
So, I changed to 32bit version. So far it behaves well. Except from some multimedia packages are missing compared to PL2. I added the dedian-multimedia.org repo for Jessie, but maybe there is a conflict (?) between repos and the packages from multimedia cannot be installed.

Thanks
johnm

Postby Pry » 02 Jan 2014, 12:48

Hello, johnm!

Well, jessie repo is testing now that means problems like this can take place. I recommend using 2.X branch if you want stability.

Thanks for the report, I will check it out.

P.S. Please do not report bugs in the Announcements section. Start a new topic. Thank you! :wink:
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Maroman » 02 Jan 2014, 13:04

Debian stable means stable square, Debian testing means stable, sid is almost stable. I've been using sid for a year and nothing serious happened. look, ubuntu is based upon unstable. something wrong?

on the other hand. Peter, is there any procedure to report bugs or errors of LO30b1?

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 02 Jan 2014, 13:26

Marek, It looks like the Debian devs just forgot to compile the lib for x86_64 or removed it from repo for some reason.

LO? Did you mean PL? Well, as I said I'm thinking what bug tracker to use. There definitely should be one. Another problem is that it will take some additional resources to handle all the bugs. Yet as far as I understand there gonna be lots of Debian/MATE bugs (this one is clearly a Debian bug for instance).
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Maroman » 02 Jan 2014, 15:58

Peter, for me your beta is stable enough. there is only mess with LO versions and that all (probable you do not need it in you repo for testing). rest, as you said. Debian's errors. I've found a few mostly due to equipment or apps non-compatibility. of course it's impossible to test all but it's much better even comparing to many other distros. I hope that discussion here helps you to remove all errors.

for me there is one little annoyance. mate options have completely different structure so it's not so easy to find anything. moreover lack of documentation. but it doesn't depend on you.

on other hand PL3 works better as far as bluetooth and sound (pulseaudio) is compared. and I can use my sd card reader. more pros than cons. finally, I'm using it on my production desktop, and PL2 plus backports on my laptop but it's a matter of time to spin.

LO30b1 means PL30b1 of course.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Kraig » 02 Jan 2014, 17:07

support 3d of ati driver open-source on deb distros (no works fine on gnome shell and unity by me, fuck off canonical and gnome team), are important this two packages:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree amd-libopencl1

Code: Select all
sudo reboot

https://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo
https://wiki.debian.org/ATIStream
https://wiki.debian.org/Mesa

no install on others distro as point linux, distro rpm and arch linux based as manjaro, because no problems default. sorry my bad english.
Kraig

Postby yro » 02 Jan 2014, 18:23

Maroman wrote:yro, not only English is your weak point. at the moment there are about two separate distros. Point2 (=stable Debian plus stable mate) and Point3 (=as above both testing). It's up to you what you choose. and there is third solution, namely Point2 plus backports. if you go to any way, there is exactly the same - old, new, mix versions.
what is your problem??
and on the other hand your exclamation is a bit impolite. you don't want, don't use. it's your private problem and your decision. don't bother us. we are mainly focused on technical not mental aspects. and there is third side. if you have any respect for person working for social profit, please do not say any word if it has no influence on Point getting better :no: .

cheers,

Hey, whats your problem with my english? Its not my primary language. So its not my problem if You dont speak Portruguese (im brazilian). But anyway, I try to write in english so anyone can understand me.

If I dont want, I will not use. For sure.

Its not a private problem when it comes to compatibility with hardware that the majority of pc users are at the same boat. The majority of computer users have legacy drivers from AMD or Intel. So, when somebody release an O.S. that are compatible with these hardwares and then announce that the new version of their O.S. will not be compatible, the problem is not about one person anymore. Its about a lot of usrs that even if they dont came here to express this situation, the problem will remain.

You say " don't bother us" in a public forum. if its wrong so close the forum. Turn it on a private forum only.

When you remove compatibility with hardware of any kind, then You are talking about an technical problem.

Then you say "if you have any respect for person working for social profit, please do not say any word if it has no influence on Point getting better".

And I say: WHATA FUCK IS WRONG YOU YOU?

So point Linux remove hardware support is "getting better"?
Is Point abandoning legacy users a "getting better" thing?

Dont take it too much personal. Its all about choice and consequencies. What I was expressing is that if Point Linux is going to abandon legacy hardware, in a especific way thats AMD radeon Legacy branch, then I will move away from it. So I explained the problem and my motivation to leave Point Linux.

Pri tried to explain something and to be more concise with the idea behind an "forum". Now You take it as some kind of "personal war" and insult me?

Dont be a Kid.. Dont bother others with your fanboy thing about Point Linux. Its a good distro, but FOR ME will not do the job with the aproach with newer kernels and xorgs... thats it.

For the others, Im realy sorry if I was not polite here, but these situations, sometimes, piss me off.
sorry about my english.
yro

Postby Pry » 03 Jan 2014, 03:35

yro wrote:Goodbye Point Linux.

Goodbye, yro.
Pry
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements