Point Linux 3.0 Beta 1 is out!

Re: Point Linux 3.0 Beta 1 is out!

Postby Maroman » 01 Feb 2014, 05:05

Peter, I tried to follow all possible solutions. that one with pinning seemed to be very attractive. but it failed. and from the beginning I wanted to install selectively only crucial applications (kernel, office suite, vlc?).
your present proposition goes exactly in this direction. I think backports are needed and should be always added to repository set. especially for new computers/laptop holders. installed newer applications helped my to overcome some issues however created new problems (asus specific). finally I solved them all (except one but not crucial) .

so possessing and using backports is good and needed solution :good: . moreover everybody has choice to use or not to use (Hamlet's dilemma??).

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Maroman » 25 Feb 2014, 08:31

I've noticed small issue. lack of icons at left upper corner of calculator and dconf editor windows. not important but annoying.

on the other hand. when stable version is planning? I must say that I moved to PL3 instead of PL2. no problems with backports.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Az4x4 » 26 Feb 2014, 16:10

Maroman wrote:..when stable version is planning?..

I'm with you Maroman, wondering the same thing. I've moved to PL3 from PL2 as well, and while there's been a couple of issues (PL3 doesn't play well with Wine just yet - at least not on my system), overall PL3 works flawlessly for me.

Peter will release PL3 when it's ready. While there's no real profit in wondering when that might be, still we all look for some sort of "heads up" on such things! That's just human nature! It's how we express a healthy interest in the progress that's being made and how quickly it's coming along when we're not privy to insider information!
How to become a Super User: Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape ... or boot to root, your choice!
Az4x4

Postby Maroman » 02 Mar 2014, 12:01

every time I try to download something using torrents I have a message

but all works with aria2 for example (with the same torrent file). transmission error?

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 02 Mar 2014, 13:18

Marek, why don't you make a separate topic for this post?

I've never seen such an error in Transmission.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Maroman » 02 Mar 2014, 15:47

Pry wrote:why don't you make a separate topic for this post?

sorry, you are right. please suggest the place and move my post (if you do not mind). moreover, the number of issues is so small that I even didn't think to establish new topic.

Pry wrote:I've never seen such an error in Transmission.

me either. stable version works fine and testing doesn't at all (of course it's local. I do not know if the issue is global). maybe the problem is completely in different place.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 02 Mar 2014, 16:05

Marek, I'll focus on the PL 3.0 Beta 2 and we'll see how it all works. Anyway, it's to early to take Jessie serious I think...
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Maroman » 05 Mar 2014, 08:55

Pry wrote:I'll focus on the PL 3.0 Beta 2

Peter, I'm ready for testing. but still
Code: Select all
cat /etc/*release
DISTRIB_ID=PointLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=3.0b1
DISTRIB_CODENAME=jessie
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Point Linux 3.0b1 (agni)"
PRETTY_NAME=Point Linux
NAME=PointLinux
VERSION_ID=3.0b1
VERSION=3.0b1 (agni)
ID=debian
ANSI_COLOR=1;31
HOME_URL=http://www.pointlinux.org/
SUPPORT_URL=http://www.pointlinux.org/support.html
BUG_REPORT_URL=http://bugs.debian.org/

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Az4x4 » 20 Apr 2014, 17:01

Pry wrote:..Marek, I'll focus on the PL 3.0 Beta 2 and we'll see how it all works. Anyway, it's to early to take Jessie serious I think...

Peter, I'm running Jessie on my small take with me laptop in the form of LMDE 2014.04, and find nothing about it that I'm disappointed with in the least. PL 3.0 Beta 1 also seems to be without any major issues. So, along with Marek and others, I'm waiting anxiously to see what you'll have to offer in Beta 2 as soon as it's ready for testing!..
How to become a Super User: Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape ... or boot to root, your choice!
Az4x4

Postby Maroman » 25 Apr 2014, 09:15

Az4x4 wrote:
Pry wrote:So, along with Marek and others, I'm waiting anxiously to see what you'll have to offer in Beta 2 as soon as it's ready for testing!..

well, after some considerations and using point 2.3 with backports I do not think version 3 is needed. it's simply too close to version 2. using backports I have crucial applications upgraded to the newest versions (a week later than in sid). it's fine without version 3. try version 2 and switch backports. newer kernel (with additional radeon functionality) and newer pulseaudio was all I needed. I've got and I'm satisfied. vlc, samba and more I've got as a bonus.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements