MATE 1.8 in wheezy backports

Would you like to be able to upgrade PL 2.X to MATE 1.8?

Yes, I would
83%
No, I wouldn't
17%

Total votes : 12

Re: MATE 1.8 in wheezy backports

Postby Pry » 07 Jul 2014, 09:00

Hello, Marek!
Maroman wrote:the problem with cdn repository is of minor importance, I've change to ftp.debian.org.

Well, that's in fact a problem I'm investigating, the thing is that apt (or something else) appends the following line to the sources.list:

There's no taya repo on the cdn.debian.net for sure. Maybe that's your problem.

Maroman wrote:think that digging farther I find sth more. the question is if I have patience for mate maintenance. well, point was so nice distro with old good mate.

Marek, Point IS a nice distro with old good MATE. :) You simply shouldn't install the 'debian-backports' package if you want to stay on MATE 1.4. I do not as I need stability above all. You can also add the backports repo to your sources.list and install only the packages you need manually. Why? Because backports is far less stable!

This is why Point Linux does not come with backports repo enabled by default. There's also a warning for the debian-backports package (reduces stability!) during installation. In fact it can even ruin your system. Even Debian folks do not recommend it for production PCs. debian-backports is a package that enables easy debian-backports upgrade for PL. Do not install it if you don't need it. It was made because many people wanted to see MATE 1.8 on PL 2.X. In other words, be prepared that the backports repo is a Russian roulette sometimes.

As for MATE 1.8, it comes as it is in the Debian backports repo, while MATE 1.4 in PL 2.X is tweaked in some ways. Wait till it appears in PL 3.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Maroman » 07 Jul 2014, 10:41

Peter,
  • I'm using backports only for my notebook. I need newer kernel for power management (ati/radeon) and card reader driver. that's all.
  • for all my desktops I'm using point without backports. and do not intend to change. I fully agree, backports weakens stability.
    Peter wrote:be prepared that the backports repo is a Russian roulette sometimes
    absolutely. stable system is for production, testing, sid for fun. however parallely I'm using semplice (sid) longer than point without any bigger blowup.
  • I wasn't precise as far as repos are considered. my remark deals only to debian repositories. point's cdn is ok.
  • and you are right, the only solution is to install manually only needed applications from backports. in my case kernel and pulseaudio. of course I can try to downgrade the system and next change pinning again (backports lower, taya higher) but at the moment I'm not sure how to solve my problems. for sure I have to go back to mate 1.4
  • I wonder if anybody has similar problems I described above? Peter, are you working with mate 1.8? if so what about bluetooth. it's not needed permanently but from time to time I use it. other errors are also annoying. don't you think?

and finally, can you explain?
Peter wrote: Wait till IT appears in PL 3.

IT means mate 1.8 I presume.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 07 Jul 2014, 10:50

Maroman wrote:Peter, are you working with mate 1.8? if so what about bluetooth.

Nope, I'm on MATE 1.4 (no debian-backports package installed).
Marek, do you have mate-bluetooth package installed in MATE 1.8? It is not included in MATE deps for some reason.
Maroman wrote: other errors are also annoying. don't you think?

and finally, can you explain?

I can actually. MATE 1.8 for Wheezy comes from wheezy-backports and it is not supported by PL, so I can't control it in any way. In other words the PL warranty is void if you install the debian-backports package and then upgrade your system. I'm in doubt it was a good idea to add the debian-backports package and simplify the backports upgrades that much. :(
Maroman wrote:
Peter wrote: Wait till IT appears in PL 3.

IT means mate 1.8 I presume.

Yep. ;)
Pry
Site Admin

Postby jordan » 07 Jul 2014, 11:52

Sorry Marek. I didn't mean to lead you astray. I never use Bluetooth so it's disabled in startup.

I originally enabled wheezy-backports for the newer kernel but have an image of the non-backport version of PL 2.3 just in case. I've never had anything break in the backported version but then again, I probably don't use the system in the same way as many others do.

Peter, I've voided my warranty? This is a travesty of justice! :ROFL:

Seriously, PL 2.x is fast, stable and easy to use. That's why it's been on my desktop for over a year :D .
jordan

Postby Maroman » 07 Jul 2014, 12:10

here you are
Code: Select all
$ dpkg -l | grep bluetooth
ii  bluetooth                               4.99-2                             all          Bluetooth support
ii  gir1.2-gnomebluetooth-1.0               3.4.2-1                            amd64        Introspection data for GnomeBluetooth
ii  gnome-bluetooth                         3.4.2-1                            amd64        GNOME Bluetooth tools
ii  libbluetooth3:amd64                     4.99-2                             amd64        Library to use the BlueZ Linux Bluetooth stack
ii  libgnome-bluetooth10                    3.4.2-1                            amd64        GNOME Bluetooth tools - support library
rc  libmatebluetooth                        1.4.0-2+wheezy                     amd64        MATE Bluetooth tools (library)
rc  mate-bluetooth                          1.4.0-2+wheezy                     amd64        MATE Bluetooth tools
maroman@asuma:$
I think I have all. but never mind, I either reinstall or downgrade the system adding only needed apps from backports.

Jordan, I'm not working very often with bluetooth (from time to time I'm using it for image transfers), but I like all is working. even if I do not need it. just for any case.
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Pry » 07 Jul 2014, 12:11

jordan wrote:Peter, I've voided my warranty? This is a travesty of justice! :ROFL:

:ROFL: Glad to hear everything works fine for you, anyway, careful with that axe, Eugene backports.It can become a big problem one day... I'd stick with the raw Point.
Pry
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Announcements