Point Linux 3.0 Beta 2 is out! Finally...

Point Linux 3.0 Beta 2 is out! Finally...

Postby Pry » 09 Nov 2014, 06:27

Hello everyone!

Well, it is time to announce that Point Linux 3.0 Beta 2 is out!

It was a hard way to Beta 2 and that convinced me that Beta 1 was released too early. The reason is that Debian is a slow-developing distro, so Jessie was completely different to the one we see today. In two words we've got the systemd working (like it or not) and we've got MATE 1.8.1 in the official Debian repo (Point Linux Beta 1 had MATE 1.6 from the Point Linux repo). Debian also moved to PackageKit, and that was a lengthy process. So Point Linux Beta 2 has not much in common with the first Beta.

The bad thing is that Compiz was removed from Point Linux 3. I tried to implement it but nothing worthy came out of it. I'm uncertain about the Compiz future at all as it is officially dead, but I promise I will port it if it arrives for MATE 1.8. Another bad thing is that Point Linux Core now exceeds the CD image size, in other words this is goodbye for CDs for Point Linux. I'll try to decrease image size but do not have high hopes for that, it looks like this is the price we have to pay for having MATE in full glory on our desktops.

Point Linux 3.0 Beta 2 looks and feels a lot like the 2 branch. That was the goal and I'm happy I made it. You will probably see another DEs in addition to MATE in the Point Linux 3 branch. I'm thinking of Gnome 3.14 that is available in Debian Jessie, but it certainly needs some love to bring it to Point Linux. Another good thing is that we've got Steam on Jessie (available for i386 only though)! Must say Valve does a lot to turn Linux into a perfect gaming platform!

Point Linux 3.0 Beta 2 was built on my new 24/7 server that has Intel Xeon X5570 CPU. The server acts as a KVM-QEMU virtualizer and has a dedicated Point Linux 3 build environment in a separate VM.

There's a mirroring problem at the moment, the Point Linux 3.0 Beta 2 images are available only on the main Point Linux site. I'll try to to fix it ASAP, but you can use torrents to get it. Here are the direct links to the torrent files:
The problem is fixed. Please go to the download page to get the latest Point Linux 3.0 Beta 2 release.

Hope you'll enjoy it! ;)
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Re: Point Linux 3.0 Beta 2 is out! Finally...

Postby johnm » 09 Nov 2014, 09:55

Contgrats!!! I have started downloading it.

One, question, I have installed Debian jessie in my production machine, could I converted jessie to PL 3.0 If I added pointlinux repos? If yes, could you please provided me the PL repositories to added them in sources.list

Thanks
johnm

Postby Pry » 09 Nov 2014, 10:36

johnm wrote:Contgrats!!! I have started downloading it.

One, question, I have installed Debian jessie in my production machine, could I converted jessie to PL 3.0 If I added pointlinux repos? If yes, could you please provided me the PL repositories to added them in sources.list

Thanks

Yes, I think you could. Just put the following file to your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pointlinux.list:
Code: Select all
deb http://cdn.pointlinux.org/pointlinux/ agni main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://cdn.pointlinux.org/pointlinux/ agni main contrib non-free

And then:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install pointlinux-mate-desktop

That should do the trick. But I'd recommend a clean install anyway especially in case you've got /home on a separate partition.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Maroman » 13 Nov 2014, 09:44

Peter, congratulations :beer: , really nice. much improved since last beta. almost perfect :good: .

unfortunately there are at least two Debian (plus asus) issues I can't use PL3 as production system for my asus notebook. firstly wifi. there is no asus_nb_wmi module so wifi is permanently disabled (easy to solve this problem). but I can't solve the brightness issue :cry: . there is no way to change brightness. only 100%.
wifi problems started earlier. but from kernel to kernel they are solved or not. but there is first time I have problems with brightness. I've tested the newest siduction and the problem has gone. they use 3.17 kernel. I hope it will be maintained in Debian soon.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby dek » 14 Nov 2014, 05:11

Maroman
I fix brightness control in notebook change line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash”
in /etc/default/grub to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
. it help for my IntelHD video
dek

Postby Maroman » 14 Nov 2014, 09:16

dek wrote:I fix brightness control in notebook change line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash”
in /etc/default/grub to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
. it help for my IntelHD video

dek, thanks a lot for your suggestion :Rose: :beer: . I've tried it before and also acpi_backlight=video and video.use_native_backlight=1 (new for kernel 3.13 and newer). result the same. must say asus/radeon (hd6320) is a bit strange. good, kernel 3.14 works.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby MrNovi » 26 Nov 2014, 17:03

Sorry to hear that you won't be supporting Compiz in PL 3.0 and that you will be using SystemD. With that in mind, how long will you be supporting the 2.3.x versions? I'm not ready to give up Compiz or go to SystemD and need to know if I need to start looking for a new "go to" distro or not.
MrNovi

Postby Pry » 26 Nov 2014, 18:13

MrNovi wrote:Sorry to hear that you won't be supporting Compiz in PL 3.0 and that you will be using SystemD. With that in mind, how long will you be supporting the 2.3.x versions? I'm not ready to give up Compiz or go to SystemD and need to know if I need to start looking for a new "go to" distro or not.

Hello, MrNovi! :)
Well, let's say I have no plans to drop PL2.x so far... That means I'll be supporting it as long as I can. The PL 2.x branch will become 'obsolete' (or maybe Debian's 'oldstable' is more tolerant?) and will move to the 'obsolete' section in the release selection drop-down on the 'Downloads' page. It will be available for download and its repo will be up as well. So no worries.

By the way, I miss Compiz a lot too, but why do you dislike systemd?
Pry
Site Admin

Postby MrNovi » 26 Nov 2014, 19:19

I dislike it for a lot of reasons. It goes against everything that Linux and Unix stand for and are about. And it tries to do too much. It sticks it's ugly head in areas it has no business being involved in. It uses language and syntax that is too arcane for the majority of users making it difficult to implement and audit. All this and it provides no real benefit over what we have now.

I will agree that some of the hype is over blown, but seriously, is it really enough of an improvement? Not from what I've seen.
MrNovi

Postby Maroman » 29 Nov 2014, 09:43

MrNovi wrote:I dislike it for a lot of reasons. It goes against everything that Linux and Unix stand for and are about. And it tries to do too much. It sticks it's ugly head in areas it has no business being involved in. It uses language and syntax that is too arcane for the majority of users making it difficult to implement and audit. All this and it provides no real benefit over what we have now.

I will agree that some of the hype is over blown, but seriously, is it really enough of an improvement? Not from what I've seen.

I have found the following announcement https://devuan.org/. what about basing Point 2 on forked Debian, and Point 3 on jessy with systemd? maybe this solution kills two birds with one stone? at the moment is too early to decide but think it's a problem.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Next

Return to Announcements