Point Linux 3.0 Beta 2 is out! Finally...

Re: Point Linux 3.0 Beta 2 is out! Finally...

Postby MrNovi » 29 Nov 2014, 16:20

Maroman wrote:
MrNovi wrote:I dislike it for a lot of reasons. It goes against everything that Linux and Unix stand for and are about. And it tries to do too much. It sticks it's ugly head in areas it has no business being involved in. It uses language and syntax that is too arcane for the majority of users making it difficult to implement and audit. All this and it provides no real benefit over what we have now.

I will agree that some of the hype is over blown, but seriously, is it really enough of an improvement? Not from what I've seen.

I have found the following announcement https://devuan.org/. what about basing Point 2 on forked Debian, and Point 3 on jessy with systemd? maybe this solution kills two birds with one stone? at the moment is too early to decide but think it's a problem.

cheers,

First off, SystemD isn't in PL 2.x or Debian Wheezy (which it is based on) anyway so there is no need to change it to Devuan at all. Debian has no plans to replace the current init system in Wheezy with SystemD either so what would be the point in PL changing it's base.

Second, the chances of Devuan having usable and reliable code ready to be used within the next year is slim at best. That would push the development of PL 3 at least a year later which isn't a good thing.

Sorry, but Devuan isn't going to help the SystemD situation much as it will simply take way to long for it to become useful, plus there is no guarantee that the developers of the applications will bother to support anything but SystemD by the time Devuan is released so what would be the point. An OS without applications, or with extremely outdated apps isn't going to be of much use to the majority of users. People already complain that they are stuck with older versions of apps in Debian Stable as it is. Imagine if they had to accept even older versions in the future.

Hopefully either Debian will see what a train wreck SystemD is fairly quickly and drop it, or they will help to make it less intrusive.
MrNovi

Postby Pry » 29 Nov 2014, 17:44

Well, I agree that it's too early to decide. There's one thing that definitely drives me crazy about the systemd, it uses the M$ PowerShell like CamelCode style for parameters. What was wrong with the 'service nameoftheservice restart'? But let's see what will come out of it. And I'll certainly take a closer look at the Devuan project. Thanks for the link. ;)
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Maroman » 29 Nov 2014, 18:33

MrNovi wrote:
First off, SystemD isn't in PL 2.x or Debian Wheezy (which it is based on) anyway so there is no need to change it to Devuan at all. Debian has no plans to replace the current init system in Wheezy with SystemD either so what would be the point in PL changing it's base.

at the moment as Point uses wheezy as stable and jessy as testing bases. but as a matter of fact we are not sure of further steps. 2 for stable or wheezy? and so on. is it interesting to keep oldstable? you are totally right in rest of your post. and what about considering other base distro to avoid Point development delay?

on the other hand I've solved my brightness problem. for radeon hd6300 (asus u32u) kernel options should be slightly changed. in my /etc/default/grub I set
Code: Select all
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet video.use_native_backlight=0"

(and of course sudo update-grub after changing grub file. I'm not using splash. want to read commands and warnings). works with the latest (3.16.2) kernel, not needed for older ones. directory /sys/class/backlight has exactly the same structure in both cases.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Maroman » 30 Nov 2014, 06:15

Pry wrote:The bad thing is that Compiz was removed from Point Linux 3. I tried to implement it but nothing worthy came out of it. I'm uncertain about the Compiz future at all as it is officially dead, but I promise I will port it if it arrives for MATE 1.8.

it's interesting compiz is working in mint (but not in virtual box). see pictures on blog and notes. Peter, hope you will solve the problem :Bravo: .

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby denis_p » 06 Dec 2014, 05:53

I just downloaded Point Linux 3.0 beta 2 yesterday, nice work once again, thanks a lot !

I just missed two packages I installed myself, but maybe they could be included in the basic ISO :
- bash-completion, very handy for command line operations
- gstreamer-tools that makes sound previews in caja work (now that sound previews can be disabled in caja preferences, I think there is no drawback in providing it, and it will save users time searching how to get sound previews working)

Also, do you plan to include a caja-dropbox package, like it was in Point Linux 2 ?

Regards,

Denis
denis_p

Postby MrNovi » 11 Dec 2014, 15:58

Maroman wrote:
Pry wrote:The bad thing is that Compiz was removed from Point Linux 3. I tried to implement it but nothing worthy came out of it. I'm uncertain about the Compiz future at all as it is officially dead, but I promise I will port it if it arrives for MATE 1.8.

it's interesting compiz is working in mint (but not in virtual box). see pictures on blog and notes. Peter, hope you will solve the problem :Bravo: .

cheers,

I would hardly consider Compiz dead. Sure it isn't being as actively developed as it once was, but Canonical still has a small team working on it as it is an integral part of the Unity DE. With that in mind I don't think it's going anywhere in the near future. Debian's problem is that Debian doesn't have anyone ensuring that all of the packages are properly maintained in Debian's repos which makes it more of a Debian problem than a Compiz problem IMHO. They seem to be more concerned with change (re: Systemd) than maintaining what they already had working.

And since it does work in Mate 1.8 on Mint I can't see any reason why it can't work in Mate 1.8 in Debian or Point 3.0 since Mint is based (indirectly) on Debian. Unfortunately Mint 17.1 has a lot of other problems which prevents it from being a viable alternative to PL.

Just my opinion. Other folks mileage may vary.
MrNovi

Postby rob630 » 14 Dec 2014, 12:33

Pry

Thank you for all your hard work! I have just downloaded Linux Mint 17.1 as well. I use this for newbies.

They have Compiz working with MATE 1.8.1

It still needs a little work, but is functional,

I will download 3 when it is finished, I really love 2.3.1

Than you once again

Rob
rob630

Previous

Return to Announcements