"Enemy At The Gates" and Vassili Zaitsev.

"Enemy At The Gates" and Vassili Zaitsev.

Postby TNFrank » 28 Jan 2014, 01:55

I was ripping some DVD's today and one of them was "Enemy At The Gates", a movie about Vassili Zaitsev one of the best Russian Snipers of WW II(if not the best) and wondered if you'd heard any stories about him growing up in Russia, Peter? Just wonder if the movie is as true to life as it seems or if they've added to his heroic tale?
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Re: "Enemy At The Gates" and Vassili Zaitsev.

Postby Pry » 28 Jan 2014, 05:29

Well, I know the movie is based on a true story, but I I don't know much more than the wiki article tells us. The movie version is distorted in some ways IMO, but it often happens with the 'based on true events' movies. On the other hand I really respect people who decided to make a movie about it as such things break ice between our countries.

You've certainly seen 'K-19: The Widowmaker', haven't you? It is based on true events also. Mr. Ford's character also has a prototype, it's Nikolai Zateyev. Russian wiki article tells us an almost mystical story about it: Nikolai's daughter Irina recalls that he once saw Mr. Ford in some movie and said "remember, Irina, this actor will be playing me when they shoot a movie about our submarine". It's hard to deny they have similar facial features I guess.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Re: "Enemy At The Gates" and Vassili Zaitsev.

Postby TNFrank » 28 Jan 2014, 15:47

I've actually not seen 'K-19: The Widowmaker' but I have heard of it. I'll have to check into it. I have seen "The Hunt for Red October" which is a pretty good movie. I do agree that movies like this help to show that we're really not so different. If you like Vassili Zaitsev's story you should read about Carlos Hathcock (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Hathcock) he was another excellent marksman who did some pretty amazing things for his Country with his rifle.
I really look up to guys like Zaitsev and Hathcock who would go out and fight with just himself and a spotter. You have to really give them credit for taking it to the edge and getting the job done.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Return to Hangout