Point Linux software

Point Linux software

Postby GB Jim » 20 Sep 2013, 00:38

Hi, I have been using Linux for about a year and a half. I use Solus and Zorin right now. I did a search for a stable Debian OS with a traditional desktop and only Point Linux came up. I burnt Point Linux to a USB stick and really like the Distro. I hate KDE but that is my last resort, Debian with KDE, the new Gnome sucks and LXDE and Xfce don't seem powerful enough for Debian.

I am glad Point comes with minimal software, as I would rather add my favorites and not have to remove a lot of unwanted software. I do have a few questions. I was not able to install HandBrake, either with the terminal or Synaptic. I did download it and install it with gdebi, but it would not run. Has anyone installed HandBrake on Point or is there a good alternative in the repositories? All my other software worked.

My second question is does anyone use Bluetooth with Point? I run HMDX Jam wireless speakers and have had some trouble pairing them with other Linux OS's. Zorin found my Bluetooth dongle right away and has worked great with Blue Proximity and BlueWho. Any knowledge or experiences with Bluetooth on Point would be appreciated.

Last how heavy is Point on resources? I have an older XP computer that only has a 1.6 gHZ single core processor and 1 gig of ram, would Point work on that?
Right now I have LXLE and MiniNo, but those are both made for older computers. My other two computers are newer and fine.

Looking forward to installing Point.
GB Jim

Re: Point Linux software

Postby Pry » 20 Sep 2013, 02:23

GB Jim wrote:I burnt Point Linux to a USB stick and really like the Distro.

Thank you, Jim!
GB Jim wrote:I was not able to install HandBrake, either with the terminal or Synaptic. I did download it and install it with gdebi, but it would not run.

Looks like a great thing! Never heared about that before. Will try to install it in a VM and write back.
GB Jim wrote:My second question is does anyone use Bluetooth with Point?

Bluetooth itself will work fine. I used it to transfer stuff to my mobile.
GB Jim wrote:I run HMDX Jam wireless speakers and have had some trouble pairing them with other Linux OS's. Zorin found my Bluetooth dongle right away and has worked great with Blue Proximity and BlueWho. Any knowledge or experiences with Bluetooth on Point would be appreciated.

Never used it, sorry
GB Jim wrote:Last how heavy is Point on resources? I have an older XP computer that only has a 1.6 gHZ single core processor and 1 gig of ram, would Point work on that?

It's almost as light as the Gnome2 desktop. It will work on this hardware, not blazingly fast of course, but I think you understand that. I'd also recommend not to install compiz and replace Firefox with something lighter (Chrome or even Midori would be fine). Swap partition is a must here as well.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby TNFrank » 20 Sep 2013, 03:39

Right now looking at this web page I'm using just a bit over 242MB of RAM so it's not heavy by any means but probably not as light as Xfce. Still, the MATE desktop is a lot easier to get around on IMHO, I liked it running with Linux Mint 15 and I still like it with Point Linux. MATE is THE desktop for me, no need for me to look any further.
I'm running Point Linux on my daughter's old Dell L866r desktop computer, it has an Intel Pentium III 866MHz processor, 512MB of PC-100 RAM and works decent enough even with Firefox to surf the web but only with one or two tabs at the most open, memory gets used up pretty fast. It didn't like Compiz at all but my HP nc6400, Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz processor with 2GB of RAM runs Compiz just fine.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Postby GB Jim » 20 Sep 2013, 11:43

Thank you for the quick response. I will probably forgo Compiz. I have had trouble with the windows settings in Zorin, lost my buttons more than once. I also don't care about wobbly windows, cubes or any of the other fancy stuff. Sounds like Point is exactly what I am looking for in an OS. Good to hear it runs on Pentium II, it seems fast on my laptop from the USB stick. I didn't expect it to be fast on the old one, just wanted to know if it runs, it is my spare/testing/guest computer. If one of you know a good video editor let me know. Otherwise I think Point will be perfect for me.
GB Jim

Postby TNFrank » 20 Sep 2013, 13:40

Glad it's going to work out for you. With just my desktop I'll use around 165MB of RAM, not much at all really, it's just that Firefox takes about 100MB of RAM per tab so you can do the math and see that if you're limited to 512MB like my daughter is on her old Dell that it's not a good idea to open more then a couple tabs at a time. Still, if you're just checking e-mail or looking something up for a school report like my grandson will be doing then it's no big deal at all.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Postby Wing Nut » 02 Dec 2013, 22:21

GB Jim wrote:I am glad Point comes with minimal software, as I would rather add my favorites and not have to remove a lot of unwanted software. I do have a few questions. I was not able to install HandBrake, either with the terminal or Synaptic. I did download it and install it with gdebi, but it would not run. Has anyone installed HandBrake on Point or is there a good alternative in the repositories? All my other software worked.

My first post here after installing Point Linux 2.2 a few weeks ago as a SolusOS replacement after it was sadly and abruptly discontinued. I've dual booted Linux (95%) with Windows (5%) for several years, but then Ubuntu went to the awful looking Unity desktop. Worse, I lost my favourite eye candy - the rotating cube desktops.

That's when SolusOS came to the rescue, and now it's the turn of Point Linux. So far, I'm very impressed with it. Compiz runs fine and my desktop spins just like old times. It's a great show-off trick to spin to another activity when a Windows user is watching or when guests want to use my PC - spin them to a clean desktop!

I would like to second the OP's request for a HandBrake source. On previous distros I've found it a very useful video encoder, but I've yet to find a way to get it to install in Point. Presently I have to fall back to using it in Win 7.

Any help would be very much appreciated :)
Wing Nut

Postby dek » 03 Dec 2013, 05:44

HandBrake available in deb-multimedia.org repository :wink: HandBrake 0.9.8 for Stable/Wheezy
dek

Postby Wing Nut » 03 Dec 2013, 11:16

Thank you!
Installed and working great - another excuse not to boot to Windows :Yahoo!:
Wing Nut

Postby jordan » 03 Dec 2013, 22:26

Wing Nut wrote:My first post here after installing Point Linux 2.2 a few weeks ago .........

Welcome Wing Nut! I hope you enjoy Point Linux as much as many of us do :).
jordan

Postby drum » 04 Dec 2013, 06:37

indeed welcome Wing Nut
Point Linux = freedom, reliability, stability, configurability, flexibility, security Image

The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.

point linux = semper fidelis
drum

Next

Return to Newbie Questions