All icons in task bar look like Power Button!

All icons in task bar look like Power Button!

Postby LEE337 » 04 Nov 2013, 09:00

Hi, I'm new to Point Linux (novice to Linux in general) and I need some help with a simple (But annoying) problem. all of the icons in my task bar look like the power button icon. they all work for their respective functions( ie Network, Sound, Guake, etc.) they just look the same. This is my first install of Point, it is from the 2.2 Full x86 DVD. I am using the default appearance scheme.
Thanx in advance!
-Lee
"Unfortunately, it seems that the only way I can learn something new is to use the crappiest hardware available!"
-Lee
LEE337

Re: All icons in task bar look like Power Button!

Postby Pry » 04 Nov 2013, 09:34

Hello there!
Lets start from the very beginning: have you tried rebooting?
How long do you use Point Linux and when this bug appeared?

MATE has a Gnome2 legacy bug when the clock applet does not appear on startup from time to fime (seldom). xkill on the panels heals it. But that's not the problem I guess, and moreover it've never seen the sympthoms you describe. Can you please make a screenshot?
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby LEE337 » 04 Nov 2013, 21:20

Ive been on Point Linux only a few days. (I became a forum member first.)
It happened when I first restarted at the install.
Yes, I have tried restarting.
I took a screenshot just have nowhere to UL it to, and didn't see an option for attaching it to the post.
"Unfortunately, it seems that the only way I can learn something new is to use the crappiest hardware available!"
-Lee
LEE337

Postby drum » 04 Nov 2013, 22:11

LEE337, screenshots can be uploaded to: postimage.org or photobucket or imageshack etc. ..., after that you can place the link to it here
Point Linux = freedom, reliability, stability, configurability, flexibility, security Image

The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.

point linux = semper fidelis
drum

Postby LEE337 » 04 Nov 2013, 22:32

Thanx Drum!

Here's a Screenshot.
-Lee
LEE337

Postby Pry » 05 Nov 2013, 03:21

Have no idea why it can happen... :unknown: You guys have any ideas? Has anyone seen something like this?
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby LEE337 » 05 Nov 2013, 04:33

I am a very experienced windows user, and I have seen Windows theme issues that do strange things similar, but not exactly like this. However, still being "green" with Linux, I am unaware of how to reinstall or install a new desktop theme. Do you think that may solve my problem?
-Lee
LEE337

Postby Dagg » 05 Nov 2013, 05:11

What happens when you switch to the Clearlooks-Phénix's theme ?

Does the panel's icons are still all the same ? Are they different now ?
PL 2.3.2 amd64 Full
Dagg

Postby Maroman » 05 Nov 2013, 05:35

it is only my guess but let me suggest.
the information about upper panel can be obtained from Menu > System Tools > Configuration Editor > apps > panel > applets. please check options there (custom icons, object type are most suspicious).
but nevertheless remove these icons from the upper panel. try to add once more either using menu (menu and go to program you want to link from the panel. if you click with right mousekey you have additional options) or adding elements to panel (also right mousekey over the panel). if icons are ugly you can add drawer or submenu instead.

but it's interesting. have you installed system properly? it looks like lack of theme icons. so maybe changing theme would help (if there is another set preinstalled). check also please synaptic if you haven't broken packages.

hope it helps.

and here there are my piece of panel with icons

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby LEE337 » 05 Nov 2013, 06:31

Dagg wrote:What happens when you switch to the Clearlooks-Phénix's theme ?

Does the panel's icons are still all the same ? Are they different now ?

The Power button changes to a switch, but the rest of them stay the same! LOL.

Maroman wrote:it is only my guess but let me suggest.
the information about upper panel can be obtained from Menu > System Tools > Configuration Editor > apps > panel > applets. please check options there (custom icons, object type are most suspicious).
but nevertheless remove these icons from the upper panel. try to add once more either using menu (menu and go to program you want to link from the panel. if you click with right mousekey you have additional options) or adding elements to panel (also right mousekey over the panel). if icons are ugly you can add drawer or submenu instead.

but it's interesting. have you installed system properly? it looks like lack of theme icons. so maybe changing theme would help (if there is another set preinstalled). check also please synaptic if you haven't broken packages.

hope it helps. cheers,

I dont find a way to remove the icons there.
I did remove the Guake icon but cant find a way to remove the sound icon. But now, after a restart, my networking icon has vanished! I can R.Click to get a context menu for it, but the icon is gone!
-Lee
LEE337

Next

Return to Newbie Questions