SSD with point linux

Postby dab » 30 Nov 2013, 12:00

Hay guys i bought an ssd drive i want to use it with point linux
is there anything i have to do to it before installing point on it
or can i just do the setup and it be a flying machine
dab

Re: SSD with point linux

Postby TNFrank » 30 Nov 2013, 17:01

It should just install like on a regular HDD. Give it a shot and report back to us all. :D
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Postby drum » 30 Nov 2013, 22:22

No problems over here, point is on my ssd but my /home is on my hdd
Point Linux = freedom, reliability, stability, configurability, flexibility, security Image

The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.

point linux = semper fidelis
drum

Postby dab » 01 Dec 2013, 13:21

works super fly now i got a 10 second bootup and wow the os is even snappier than ever
now my next thing to try is go into the creating my own kernel this will be fun
dab

Postby pfrank » 04 Dec 2013, 14:22

but kernel 3.2 does support ssd (trim, wear levelling)? And if so, ¿how to enable it? ¿Is it automatic?
pfrank

Postby dab » 05 Dec 2013, 08:30

pfrank wrote:but kernel 3.2 does support ssd (trim, wear levelling)? And if so, ¿how to enable it? ¿Is it automatic?

i installed a custom kernel from exton.net while i try and create my own makes pont very snappy indeed
dab

Postby clhp » 23 Dec 2013, 22:47

I have an ssd also and the /home needs to go on the hdd, BUT, I have a problem because there is no way to assign /home to the hdd during the install.
Can anybody point me to what I may have missed?
clhp

Postby Maroman » 25 Dec 2013, 05:29

clhp wrote:I have a problem because there is no way to assign /home to the hdd during the install.
Can anybody point me to what I may have missed?

probably you missed something. during install process all discs and partitions are seen (if you had any at your discs).
you are right (to some extend). installer forces to install all on one disc. but there is no problem. home directory (in your case at different physical disc) can be set manually.
so what is the problem now? do you want to reinstall whole system or try to move your home directory to different place?

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby jordan » 25 Dec 2013, 23:41

pfrank wrote:but kernel 3.2 does support ssd (trim, wear levelling)? And if so, ¿how to enable it? ¿Is it automatic?

TRIM (see its function at the bottom of this post) has been supported since the 2.6 kernel but it is not enabled by default in any distro that I know of. The next release of Ubuntu (14.04) will enable it by default by using a cron (an automatically scheduled) job to run fstrim on a regular basis. You can do the same thing in Point. Go to http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/enable-t ... rives.html and scroll down to "Using a daily cron job - recommended" (this was tested using Ubuntu but should probably work in most other distros - no guarantees though). For more specific Wheezy instructions, go to http://siddou.hd.free.fr/2013/09/optimi ... -7-wheezy/ and look for "fstrim instead of discard" where setting up a weekly fstrim cron job is described.

UPDATE: If you turn you computer off and on often, it might be more convenient to run fstrim on boot rather than in a scheduled job. You'll need to edit /etc/rc.local for this. Add fstrim -v for every partition on your SSD above the exit 0 line. It should look something like this (running TRIM on the root partition):

fstrim -v /
exit 0

Your SSD should get TRIM'd on every boot. You'll hardly notice the slowdown.*

*excerpted from http://onubuntu.blogspot.com/2013/06/tw ... r-ssd.html

I've just installed and partitioned an SSD. When I have a bit more time, I'll install PL 2.2 and enable TRIM per the above link instructions. If you don't want to set up the automatic cron job, you can always periodically run "sudo fstrim -v /" in the terminal or run it at startup (see above).

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------
TRIM:

"TRIM allows the OS to "inform a solid-state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally". Without using TRIM, the SSD speed decreases after a while so if you have a solid-state drive that supports TRIM, you should enable it so your SSD remains fast over time."*

*From the first paragraph at http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/enable-t ... rives.html
jordan

Postby Maroman » 01 Jan 2014, 11:03

I don't if it's good solution and if it helps to manage ssd but there are newer kernels in backports. so adding repo
Code: Select all
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports main non-free contrib
or any of its mirror we have other kernels up to 3.11.
so after updating repository we can install the newest
sudo apt-get -t wheezy-backports install linux-image-amd64 linux-headers-3.11-0.bpo.2-amd64
(all together is about 35MB to download). I had to update drivers and/or processor microcode also (you can update all or find which is needed. I updated one by one - the reason later).
unfortunately during initramfs update I found warning message about driversmissing and because of that I installed all (as a mater of fact I only needed realtek drivers
sudo apt-get -t wheezy-backports install firmware-realtek

added with above command).
the warning is quit long but after installing all possible drivers the list reduced to a few positions
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/KAVERI_sdma.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/KAVERI_rlc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/KAVERI_mec.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/KAVERI_ce.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/KAVERI_me.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/KAVERI_pfp.bin for module radeon
but uncle G helped me to find solution. it's not important firmware bug - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-firmware/+bug/1218691

up to now all works fine. but I have no ssd so I can't say anything on relation between the newest kernel and ssd disc. experiments are left for ssd holders.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Next

Return to Newbie Questions