Grub question after updating

Grub question after updating

Postby azurehi » 04 Dec 2013, 23:15

While applying updates after installing Point 2.2 a point is reached where I need to choose Where to install Grub. Neither selection is clear to me so I abort and proceed no further, not wanting to bork my system. I have windows 8.1 on one partition, Mint 16 on a 2nd and Point on the 3rd. I cannot recall the choices presented during update.

Any suggestions appreciated - thanks
azurehi

Re: Grub question after updating

Postby Maroman » 05 Dec 2013, 04:47

and what do you want to get? your information is not precise, so answer might be too general.
if you have different systems you use different one of their launcher, installed before (mint I assume). so install your grub in any place but not in mbr of main disc. then go to mint and in terminal update grub (sudo update-grub command). if you want to use point's grub you should place it in mbr of main disc (/dev/sda assuming you have one sata disc).
you should also check if you have swap in mint. you probable changed uuid of swap partition.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby TNFrank » 05 Dec 2013, 18:15

During install root, i.e / goes in "sda1" and Grub goes in"sda", it's not really all that hard to figure out. If you have another op system on your computer then you need to format a section of your hard drive to ext4 and use that as sda1 and sda for the install.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Postby Maroman » 05 Dec 2013, 20:40

TNFrank wrote:During install root, i.e / goes in "sda1" and Grub goes in"sda", it's not really all that hard to figure out.
I think not in this case. He has two systems. windows is always first. We don't know the way disc was divided. simple description is a bit to short, not technical. And with grub there are at least three solutions. Every launcher (of windows/mint/point) can be used to launch own system and others. we don't know the aim. generally, working and the only one launcher (grub or another one, depends on system and wish) should be installed in mbr of bootable disc, not partition. but if we want for example mint's grub to start all systems so point's grub should be installed dummy in every place but not in mbr (for one disc it's /dev/sda, /dev/sdax is for partitions, not disc).

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby azurehi » 05 Dec 2013, 22:08

Thanks for the suggestions. Obviously I am not very skilled in linux matters but have been using and trying various distros for over ten years. I can follow directions Usually and somehow muddle through. I like Point linux and would like to install it, being debian based. I recently successfully installed SolydX and did not have the problem I have imprecisely described.

I include a screen shot of my gparted setup.

Grub is installed on the MBR with xubuntu 13.10 booting first. Thanks for any further suggestions.
Attachments
Screenshot - 12042013 - 04_57_44 PM.png
Screenshot - 12042013 - 04_57_44 PM.png (88.48 KiB) Viewed 11371 times
azurehi

Postby TNFrank » 05 Dec 2013, 23:47

I've never had to deal with installing Linux on a system with Windows(or OS-X for that matter) so I can't really say how it'd be installed. I only know that in my Point Linux/Ubuntu Gnome 3 Dual Boot install I put Point Linux on first on a totally formatted drive that was ext4 then install the Ubuntu op system second and had it install along side of Point Linux and set it up so that half of the HDD would have PL and half would have Ubuntu.
From all that I do know Grub needs to be on sda. Maybe someone will chime in with more info on this matter.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Postby Maroman » 06 Dec 2013, 07:35

answer is not simple. but I don't want to write a book. almost all infos are at forums.
1. sda1. windows. there is a good practice (because of security reason) to have separate partitions for system and data
2. swap. one swap partition can be used for all linux systems.

I can understand that you have bios firmware so you have maximal number of partitions. your partitioning is not ideal so without complete reinstallation you can install another system either on logical/extended partition or primery on (sda4).
you can shrink partition sda5 and add swap partition and partition for point. then partition sda4 might be used for global storage (in this case uuid of swap partition in fstab file must be changed). partition sda3 might be deleted. you have one more entry.
you can install point on sda4.
there is grub version 1.99 in point. if there is newer in different distro (at sda5 - mint or buntu? grub version 2 it's better) you should use it for launching systems.
Installing point its grub should be dummy installed (you can install it at any partition sdaX, not /dev/sda. it's only pointer. reboot system and go back to mint/buntu. next sudo update-grub to add point entry. you should also check if you have swap file. installation can change uuid of swap partition. if so use sudo blkid to find its id and edit fstab file (as a root).
you can reboot and start using point or any system.
one notice on swap. if you do not hibernate system, imho is huge. of course depends on your ram but usually if you have 2GB ram and set vm.swappiness parameter to 10, practically swap is not used at all
if you have any spare partition you can use it for global storage - partition with your date, you can automatically mount to any system (ntfs or ext4).
Code: Select all
maroman@acese:~$ sudo blkid -olist
device            fs_type  label     mount point           UUID
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/dev/sda2         ext4     Storage   /media/Storage        c328e44c-554d-4bf5-959a-d11107b64092
/dev/sda5         swap               <swap>                59a52f52-4000-4169-b329-b51a6afff186
/dev/sdb1         ntfs     WinXP     (not mounted)         3EA8E948A8E8FEF1
/dev/sdb2         ntfs     Data      /media/maroman/Data   4B0E22F82221BDB3
/dev/sdc1         ntfs     Depot     (not mounted)         3C5482C254827F00
/dev/sda6         ext4               /                     1db298d0-e859-4bd2-b3b6-0eaa8a467546
/dev/sdc2         ext4     Archive   (not mounted)         15e04ffe-b04c-4ec8-84c1-d1b6d4c21027
/dev/sr1          iso9660  PLAY ONLINE /media/maroman/PLAY ONLINE
maroman@acese:~$

please find enclosed my partition division. I'm here in a bit different position since I have three discs. I have windows at second disc and linux at first one (sda5 for swap, sda6 for system, sda2 for storage).

is it clear? it's subject for long wiki not for short answer.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby azurehi » 06 Dec 2013, 14:51

Thank you both TNFrank and Maroman for your comments and your detailed suggestions Maroman. I will consider whether to redo my partitioning setup and try the suggestions. I appreciate the time spent in considering my question.
azurehi

Return to Newbie Questions