No Software Center

No Software Center

Postby trident5 » 25 Apr 2014, 04:48

Im quite new to linux is there not a Software Center like Ubuntu and others have or am i just not finding it? If there isnt one is there any alternative Software Center that i can add?
trident5

Re: No Software Center

Postby Maroman » 25 Apr 2014, 08:14

do you think is needed? there is synaptic and you can find everything. it's more useful (imho) since I can see all dependencies. try synaptic. it's only question of time you accustom to it.

you can always find needed packages using apt-cache command
Code: Select all
apt-cache search <program name>
learn more. force your brain work.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Re: No Software Center

Postby Az4x4 » 28 Apr 2014, 00:11

trident5 wrote:Im quite new to linux is there not a Software Center like Ubuntu and others have or am i just not finding it? If there isnt one is there any alternative Software Center that i can add?

Maroman is right. Synaptic is the best software management application available in Linux. However if you're not comfortable with it, or you feel you need a Ubuntu or Mint Software Center type application for whatever reason, then open Synaptic and type "Software Center" in the search field. The Debian specific "Software-Center" that shows up is worth a look. Run the installation and test it on your system.
How to become a Super User: Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape ... or boot to root, your choice!
Az4x4

Return to Newbie Questions