Several general questions about Point linux

Several general questions about Point linux

Postby Stefan » 30 Jun 2014, 06:40

Hi,

I want to begin to use Point linux, but I have some question about this distribution:
- Do you use something from Ubuntu or distributions based on it?
- When do you plan to move source to github?
- Can I expect new version of Firefox when Mozilla release it or I must to wait new release of Point linux?
- How often are you doing update of point linux repositories?
Stefan

Re: Several general questions about Point linux

Postby rmockler » 30 Jun 2014, 21:40

@Stefan: After trying many other distributions for several years, I have been using Point Linux for over a year and I am completely satisfied with it.
To try to answer your questions:
1. Point Linux is not based on Ubuntu or any Ubuntu derivatives, in fact, Point Linux and Ubuntu are both based directly on Debian.
2. I cannot answer this question, the developer will have to help out here.
3. You do not have to wait for a new release of Point Linux for Firefox updates. Updates for Firefox and Thunderbird both appear in the Point Linux update manager shortly after they are made available from Mozilla.
4. It is hard to say exactly how often updates to the repositories happen, but it has been my experience over the last year that they appear often. I have been happy with the number of repository updates that I have had, It seems to me that one or more updates show up at least every week or so. Actually it seems to be a good balance. You don't have to go weeks without any updates, yet you aren't driven crazy with a large number of updates every day or two. Plus, unlike Windows, you are in complete control over total management of your updates.
Give Point Linux a fair try, and I think you will be very pleased with it.
~Richard
rmockler

Return to Newbie Questions