Is the Point Linux for your Grandma?

Is the Point Linux for your Grandma?

Postby AlexMcGregor » 01 Sep 2014, 11:37

Hello there

Now I'm useing Linux Mint 11 and everything all right but speed of web-browsers (Ghrome and Firefox) because of my PC is from 2006 year (and I'm not going to change it).
But this year I'm going to install one of latest version Linux. By default I would prefer Linux Mint 17, it is good and stable I'm told. But there are some trubles with Linux Mint sometimes and I think 17th would not be exception.

So I wonder about is installing Point Linux good for newbie like me. I'm told Debian is not frendly for people who have not wishes of using difficult for "common users" ways.
Will deep or good knowing of Debian be needed for using Point Linux? In other words would you set it up for your grandmother? ;)
And is it good for 1GB RAM and old PC?

System will be useing for home: video, web-surfing with Chrome, documents (abi, gnumeric, libre), music, and so on.

P.S. And could ubuntu reps be used for Point Linux? And would ubuntu/mint-solutions (for command line of course, not for grafic interface) work in Point Linux?

Thanks a lot for your answers! :)
AlexMcGregor

Re: Is the Point Linux for your Grandma?

Postby Maroman » 01 Sep 2014, 13:23

your computer is not so old. I'm using point on my two desktops (pentium 4, 2004, 2005 I suppose). both work flawless.

AlexMcGregor wrote:I'm told Debian is not frendly for people who have not wishes of using difficult for "common users" ways.
Will deep or good knowing of Debian be needed for using Point Linux? In other words would you set it up for your grandmother? ;)

Point is based on Debian. mate gui is friendly enough and most settings can be done with it. but I do not know how skilled is your grandma. going to hardware, in many cases 1GB of ram shouldn't be any problem.

AlexMcGregor wrote:System will be useing for home: video, web-surfing with Chrome, documents (abi, gnumeric, libre), music, and so on.
P.S. And could ubuntu reps be used for Point Linux? And would ubuntu/mint-solutions (for command line of course, not for grafic interface) work in Point Linux?

there is no abiword and gnumeric installed but of course they are in Debian repository. libreoffice is the standard. all Linux commands (in terminal) work exactly in this same way as in ubuntu (primary ubuntu is based on Debian packages). it's not recommended to mix repos. ubuntu and debian are different instances.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby ausmuso » 08 Sep 2014, 09:00

AlexMcGregor wrote:Will deep or good knowing of Debian be needed for using Point Linux? In other words would you set it up for your grandmother? ;)

Hi Alex,
At 80 I'm too old still to have grandparents myself but my 79 year old wife is a grandmother, even a great-grandmother! She has no great depth of Debian knowledge but she is an enthusiastic user of Crunchbang which is based on the same principle as PointLinux: a user-friendly system based on Debian Stable. The only difference is her desktop: she uses LXDE rather than Mate.

I set up PointLinux for myself last week and asked her to come and have a look at it. She said she liked it except she preferred LXDE to the Mate desktop. She reckoned those big top and bottom taskbars took a lot of useable desktop space away.

I'd set up PointLinux for older people without any hesitation. You get a rock-stable user-friendly system. Also you're not on the halfyearly upgrade treadmill as with Ubuntu/Mint. Great stuff. What more could you want?
Linux from 1997 (Slackware, Caldera, Red Hat, Mandrake, (Open)SuSE, Poppy, Ubuntu, CentOS, Mint 13 & LMDE, Crunchbang)

If at first you don't succeed . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . skydiving is not for you!
ausmuso

Postby Maroman » 08 Sep 2014, 18:07

ausmuso wrote:At 80

congratulations :Rose: . for openness and clarity of your mind.

regards,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby ausmuso » 09 Sep 2014, 06:25

Maroman wrote:
ausmuso wrote:At 80

congratulations :Rose: . for openness and clarity of your mind.

Nothing to congratulate, Maroman, just wait long enough and we'll all get old!
Anyway Linux keeps us young, doesn't it?
Linux from 1997 (Slackware, Caldera, Red Hat, Mandrake, (Open)SuSE, Poppy, Ubuntu, CentOS, Mint 13 & LMDE, Crunchbang)

If at first you don't succeed . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . skydiving is not for you!
ausmuso

Postby AlexMcGregor » 13 Sep 2014, 19:30

ausmuso wrote:
AlexMcGregor wrote:Will deep or good knowing of Debian be needed for using Point Linux? In other words would you set it up for your grandmother? ;)

Hi Alex,
At 80 I'm too old still to have grandparents myself but my 79 year old wife is a grandmother, even a great-grandmother! She has no great depth of Debian knowledge but she is an enthusiastic user of Crunchbang which is based on the same principle as PointLinux: a user-friendly system based on Debian Stable. The only difference is her desktop: she uses LXDE rather than Mate.

I set up PointLinux for myself last week and asked her to come and have a look at it. She said she liked it except she preferred LXDE to the Mate desktop. She reckoned those big top and bottom taskbars took a lot of useable desktop space away.

I'd set up PointLinux for older people without any hesitation. You get a rock-stable user-friendly system. Also you're not on the halfyearly upgrade treadmill as with Ubuntu/Mint. Great stuff. What more could you want?

Thanks for great answer and inspiration! :)))
Some of my friends have already been told this story)))
AlexMcGregor

Return to Newbie Questions