How to save settings after live usb Point Linux session

How to save settings after live usb Point Linux session

Postby AlexMcGregor » 10 Sep 2014, 16:41

Hi there!

I am using Point Linux from live usb. And usually all settings of session don't save. Is there way to save them and to get system with all software internet, language and desktop settings I'd done during last session?

Thanks for your answers!
AlexMcGregor

Re: How to save settings after live usb Point Linux session

Postby Maroman » 10 Sep 2014, 16:54

this is called persistence but Point (as far as I know) hasn't :o this option. of course there are distros with persistence like puppy and ubuntu (specially prepared).

what about installing Point permanently? it takes just a little (both time and space).

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby AlexMcGregor » 13 Sep 2014, 19:13

That could be great solution but I don't have any idea how to organize information at PC. I have several partitions at PC and have 2 OS on it (Win7 and Linux MInt 11) and afraid lost all info while insalling.
I know that this is irrationally but my PC is not my friend and it is usual situation to get some trouble while doing something with it. =@
Also I want to save Linux Mint for my folks because they used to use it and as I'm a noob I'm not sure I can save any options they have in LM after installing PL.
On the other hand I want to get more skills with Debian as it must be more fast and stable than LM. That is why I want to know how to save settings - to learn system more a little. :)
AlexMcGregor

Postby Maroman » 14 Sep 2014, 04:49

so you have plenty of spare space to install more Linux distros. for Point (and every additional Linux distro) you need one partition 5-10GB. enough. you can use one swap and grub for all distros. moreover I keep all my data (plus dropbox data) for different systems in one partition mounted via fstab (home is used only for temporary data). for standard bios firmware there is possible to set up to four partitions but all together if you consider logical ones 15 (I think). I've noticed it's quite common to keep more than one distro - one for production, one for fun and experiments.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby AlexMcGregor » 14 Sep 2014, 19:44

Thanks for your detailed answers! Are you moderator over here?
AlexMcGregor

Postby GB Jim » 15 Sep 2014, 15:18

The best program I know for installing persistence is Linux Live USB creator. There are two problems with it. First, while it was created to install live LInux OS's to a USB drive, it is only a Windows program. The second is while it will burn any Linux OS to a USB drive, it does not support Point for persistence. If enough people write, the programer will support an OS. I have written, but I doubt many other have done the same. I also asked if he would make a Linux version, but not enough people have done that either. He also explains Linux is harder as the variety of packages. He would probably have to pick on like Deb or RPM.

The second pretty good program is Unetbootin. Again it does not support Point for persistence. I does support Ubuntu and almost any Ubuntu derivative. I have run Start OS , Zorin, Mint, Ubuntu Mate and many more from a USB drive with persistence. I have also seen tutorials on how to set up persistence yourself on just about any USB drive, but have not had that work for me yet.

So basically for now it is use what Point gives you, redo all your setting each time you boot, or install permanently to your hard drive. I love Point, if you do install it to your hard drive, hope it works as well for you.
GB Jim

Postby AlexMcGregor » 15 Sep 2014, 17:21

Maybe we could use dd?
Like # dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/sdb/CurrentLiveUsb.iso
or # dd if=/ of=/dev/sdb/CurrentLiveUsb.iso
or something else??
AlexMcGregor

Postby AlexMcGregor » 16 Sep 2014, 20:19

Maroman, about installing.
Now I have several partitions and all of them named, parted and in use. First for Win7, second for LM11, third for swap and so on.
Which of them do I have to use for installing PL? I think if I would resize one of them it can crush it, don't it?
How to choose the right way in that situation?
AlexMcGregor

Postby Maroman » 17 Sep 2014, 05:37

Alex, I'm afraid you have at least to re-install all Linux distros.

as far as I can understand you have bios firmware. win7 takes two primary partitions (first one is very small). only two are left. of course next steps are only of your choice.

If I were you. I can only guess. in this case we need one logical partition for all Linux distros and one for let say depot (substitute of common home for your data). for Linux you need at least 1GB for swap (depends on your ram) plus 5GB multiplied by number of distros for systems. a little more if you think you need many additional software (at the moment Point takes less than 3GB). you can use one swap for all distros but you can't use same home. there are not only your data in home directory but also config/setting files.

so third logical partition is divided into three sub-partitions. rest (at the end of your disc) as primary partition for your data. in this case you have to delete/reinstall mint - it's very difficult (if possible) to convert partition types.

the order of installation is not essential but you can use only one grub. take the newer one (ver 2 works better than 1.99 from Point). installing second distro you can lost your swap (installation can change uuid) but it's very easy to maintain changing the number manually in fstab file.

moreover, manually depot partition can be added to fstab by adding
Code: Select all
# [depot] /dev/sda4
/dev/sda4    /media/depot    ext4    defaults,users,auto     0    0

(watch the number. my depot in on /dev/sda4. we were discussing the subject on this forum a few month ago). of course you have to create directory /media/depot first and next add this code to every fstab of every distro.

Point has all tools to change partitions. so first start with Point changing configuration of your disc and install it (choose swap all all system on one partition). for next distro you have swap ready partition and one free partition. if you decide to use grub from the second installation all systems are seen immediately. if not, you have to go back to the first one for update-grub command to find and rebuild grub.cfs file.

maybe all seems to be very complicated but isn't. after tenth re-installation you will be an expert. of course save your data first because formatting damages all.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Return to Newbie Questions