Brightness control doesn't work

Brightness control doesn't work

Postby puhuux » 25 Dec 2014, 00:48

Hi,
How can I adjust brightness, it simply doesn't work, whatever I tried for it, no useful hints even from linux forums - they all suggest something that needs admin privileges to edit files, but this doesn't work either - no way to to edit files as a root. Please help, as I like this distro very much, just want to get deeper in it to make necessary changes and learn linux.
puhuux

Re: Brightness control doesn't work

Postby puhuux » 25 Dec 2014, 01:52

Wow, I found solution for not working backlight control, if anybody has the same issue, here is the solution:

At first I got the admin privileges, installing gedit:

sudo apt-get install gedit

Then followed steps suggested in forums:

1. sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
2. find the line starting with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
3. add "acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor" to the options

GRUB lines have to look like this:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo CrunchBang`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

4. sudo update-grub2
5. reboot

And brightness control worked!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm happy I got it, and happy to point to Peter and other distributors some missing details. But I like this OS very much, my favorite at the moment, massive thanks for Peter and others!

Cheers
puhuux

Postby puhuux » 25 Dec 2014, 01:55

Actually, at this case GRUB lines have to look like this:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`Point Linux`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
puhuux

Postby Maroman » 25 Dec 2014, 03:06

hi. it was discussed earlier at the forum. it might be problem with newer kernels (3.16). the essential think is kernel and graphic card. system is of secondary importance. you haven't said nothing on that. and your solution is not universal because it do not work for radeon cards with kernel 3.16.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby puhuux » 25 Dec 2014, 17:31

hi maroman,
thanks for hints, but i'm not such a professional (just lover and beginner) to understand everything you said, just happy that i found solution by myself, if you can explain - what is radeon card and how to detect probelm in kernel and how to fix it, i'd be happy. and other thing - is this thing, that this disto originally doesn't include admin privileges a common thing or just coincidence? i had to install gedit to have access to the files. And there seems to be another issue with privileges - i can't find solution how to write files to usb sticks, it gives: media is not writable, and i haven't found a suitable solution in forums yet.
puhuux

Postby Maroman » 25 Dec 2014, 18:20

well, long way. nice you are here. welcome.

firstly, you do not need gedit because you have pluma. mate is fork of gnome 2 desktop (there are almost the same apps but with different names).
secondly, you as a user have only limited privileges. but in some situation you might be a hero, superuser. there are magical words sudo or gksu. if you use them you can almost everything (joking).

it's good idea to start to learn. it's not easy to use system without competencies. remember how long it takes to learn to speak? or walk (as a child of course). so long way ahead. take care. but in meanwhile you can read something. there is a lot in the net. maybe my hint is not good, but what about starting with this https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/index.en.html. generally, there are two big subjects to learn - Debian and mate DE. that's all. Happy Xmas. cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby GB Jim » 25 Dec 2014, 20:36

I use Redshift GUI. It not only adjusts brightness, but changes the color from red to white for night viewing or day viewing to be easier on the eyes. It can be downloaded from Sourceforge in a .deb package.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/redshiftgui/

After installing I added the program by going to System/Preferences/Startup applications. It will be in filesystem, usr, bin, redshift gui. Start the program, set it and then you can hide it, there will be a task bar icon.

I know some people might not use it as it is not in the official repositories.but I love the program and have never had a problem with it. Just mentioning it as another option.

Good Luck
GB Jim

Postby puhuux » 26 Dec 2014, 03:40

Thanks, guys, for hints, especially for tutorial, Maroman, I already started to read a pdf about linux, but this one seems good as well.
btw, Maroman, if you can help me with some hints - how can I get my usb-sticks to work, they work in other computers, but this OS doesn't allow me to write on them, no permissions. there's not problem that i don't know how to use sudo or gksu, there's something else wrong, i couldn't edit the file until i installed gedit, then appeared even 'open file as administrator' in r-click option.
And, Jim - I installed redshiftgui, but it didn't work, tried all things you suggested, no effect. It doesn't open even if to try i open in /usr/bin as admin.
puhuux

Postby Maroman » 26 Dec 2014, 08:04

puhuux, I'm not witch-doctor and you have to help yourself. first try to google your problem. there is a lot of useful manuals and info in the net. some hints are here at the forum. you can always use search option to find them.

but firstly. what system do you use - pure PL 2.3.1? what hardware do you have? processor and graphic card?

in linux there are 'hidden' parts. you can't see the engine. you can see just front.
to determine your usb devices write in terminal
Code: Select all
lsusb

insert pendrive to usb and open caja. can you see your pen mounted? write in terminal
cat /etc/mtab

to see mounted file systems
pls publish the above data.

and pls do not install any apps. probable you have almost all you need but can't use it. you can easily spoil the system. I've been running point on my desktop for almost two years without any problem (without any reinstallation). experiments mean problems and lead to reinstallation.

I can't discus on brightness issue if I do not know used kernel (to see the number you can write in terminal uname -a) and your hardware. generally there are options to set brightness. Have you tried them first?

about redshift. originally there is no gui for redshift. it's not needed. to some extend you have one in your system. you can run in terminal
redshift -h

to see all options. redshift is used mostly as a demon at start of your system. and mostly one option is used - l. so determine your gps position. go to preferences and startup applications. you can add new. name and comment as you wish but in exec line you should write
redshift  -l LAT:LON

and save it. redshift starts with your system changing color temperature according to your position.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby puhuux » 29 Dec 2014, 04:29

Many thanks, Maroman, for explaining to me things, I'm really happy you have a time and willingness to give me some hints, everything is really appreciated as I'm acting in this world more by intuition and even the most simple things can be new and useful for me, for example that I can find the same topic by search in forum. I have to say - I'm reading several times what you are writing until I start something to figure out, it's completely a new world and that's why it's so exiting. And thanks for the manual, I definitely will work with it.
At the moment I don't have any more problems, brightness control I managed to get to work in the way I described and actually don't care about this redshift stuff - redshiftgui didn't work and I uninstalled it and not bothering about this any more.
And the strange thing - when I wrote here about this pendrive problem, I tried the whole night to get it work, but didn't succeed, but next day, getting your reply, turned it on and it worked just like that. It seems, that this systems fixes something itself by time, for example - I installed my favorite desktop theme and there were missing some colours and design of buttons, but they appeared after some day by their own.
So no more problems at the moment, if some questions appear, I hope I can ask your help. Massive thanks again and have a great new year's eve!
puhuux

Return to Newbie Questions