No boot after install

No boot after install

Postby kazzon » 10 Jun 2013, 18:43

I installed pointlinux today after successfully testing it on a vm and liked it. After install my machine reboots but then fails to boot up from internal disk. So I then booted back in to the live usb I created and tried a grub-install /dev/sda manually but got the following error:

Code: Select all
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).
kazzon

Re: No boot after install

Postby kazzon » 11 Jun 2013, 15:07

Nobody has anything I could try to fix this? I forgot to mention that I was installing on a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad Edge
kazzon

Postby Maroman » 11 Jun 2013, 17:57

kazzon wrote:I was installing on a brand new Lenovo Thinkpad Edge

I never ever had such a case but maybe the problem is with computer. do you have standard bios or uefi? what about different distros? have you try with different one?

I have installed PL on brand new asus with uefi switched off. many distros are not installed on uefi even without secure boot.
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby dhinds » 11 Jun 2013, 19:20

kazzon wrote:I installed pointlinux today after successfully testing it on a vm and liked it. After install my machine reboots but then fails to boot up from internal disk. So I then booted back in to the live usb I created and tried a grub-install /dev/sda manually but got the following error:

/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub (is /dev mounted?).

I have had good luck using a supergrub2 cd. I choose the third option and it gives me a list of partitions i can boot to.

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/d ... kdownload/

The version I've used is from 2011.

Hope that helps.
dhinds

Postby kazzon » 12 Jun 2013, 17:54

dhinds wrote:
kazzon wrote:I installed pointlinux today after successfully testing it on a vm and liked it. After install my machine reboots but then fails to boot up from internal disk. So I then booted back in to the live usb I created and tried a grub-install /dev/sda manually but got the following error:

I have had good luck using a supergrub2 cd. I choose the third option and it gives me a list of partitions i can boot to.

Hope that helps.

My machine has not disc drive.
kazzon

Postby Maroman » 12 Jun 2013, 18:48

yes, but what firmware do you have - bios or uefi?

almost every iso can be copied to usb drive. either try with linux commands (cat or dd) or windows programs (if you use it - look at pendrivelinux site).
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby dhinds » 13 Jun 2013, 17:23

kazzon wrote:
dhinds wrote:

Hope that helps.

My machine has not disc drive.

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad W520 with no optical drive (I ordered with 2 internal hard drives, instead). I use and external usb drive with it, however. And as Maroman said, you can burn an iso to a bootable usb flash drive using unetbootin or a number of other options downloadable from pendrivelinux.com

I've been able to gain consistent access to operating systems unavailable via Grub by using a supergrup2 disk.

Good luck.
dhinds

Return to Installation Support