HP Desktop install problem.(Update)

Re: HP Desktop install problem.(Update)

Postby TNFrank » 04 Oct 2013, 11:42

I tried to play a DVD using VLC and it didn't work. It's strange that it'd work with a CD but not a DVD. Seems like if it's messed up it'd be messed up for both. I wonder if a dirty laser could be at fault? Maybe it's too dirty to read a DVD but still not so dirty that it stops it from reading a CD?
This IS puzzling to say the least.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Postby Pry » 04 Oct 2013, 11:56

Well, I had a similar problem on my dad's PC as far as I can remember. The drive refused to read the DVDs but could read CDs perfectly. I did not have enough patience to find out what was the problem, yet the drive was pretty old (about 3 or 4 years old) so I just bought a new one.

By the way, you can install the 'Core' desktop using the ordinary CD and then install the 'pointlinux-mate-desktop' metapackage on top of it. It should give you the 'Full' version.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby TNFrank » 04 Oct 2013, 12:05

Pry wrote:Well, I had a similar problem on my dad's PC as far as I can remember. The drive refused to read the DVDs but could read CDs perfectly. I did not have enough patience to find out what was the problem, yet the drive was pretty old (about 3 or 4 years old) so I just bought a new one.

By the way, you can install the 'Core' desktop using the ordinary CD and then install the 'pointlinux-mate-desktop' metapackage on top of it. It should give you the 'Full' version.

Thanks, that was kind of my plan, ;) Figure there's more then one way to get the job done. I posted over in the Core section of the forum about this very thing. :D
TNFrank

Postby Pry » 04 Oct 2013, 12:10

By the way, I think I'll make the 'core to full' post sticky.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby TNFrank » 09 Oct 2013, 14:07

Just a quick update(again) as I posted, the problem was the DVD-RW drive, no DVD read but worked well with the Core CD then I did the rest of the install from the interweb. Got Point Linux up and running like a champ on Patrick's desktop and even got Compiz installed now that I added another 2GB of RAM(for 2.5GB total) so his older desktop is up and working great. I think he'll be very happy with it. ;)
TNFrank

Previous

Return to Installation Support