No boot & no WiFi after install

Re: No boot & no WiFi after install

Postby oldsalt » 10 Oct 2013, 15:32

Yesterday I decided to download a new ISO for point. I got the newest, version 2.2. After downloading I ran md5 on it, checked out fine. Ran the live session and noticed I had no WiFi. Plugged in the cat5 line and did the install. Still no WiFi or grub boot. I installed the 64bit, do you think the 32bit might give me grub boot and WiFi.
oldsalt

Postby TNFrank » 10 Oct 2013, 15:50

Many times the 32 bit, being older, has drivers and firmware that the newer 64 bit won't have. What system are you running on? I've installed Point Linux on 3, HP nc6400's, my daughter's old Dell L866r with a new PCI WiFi care installed, a Dell 1521 laptop(needed to use a proprietary driver until I swapped out the wifi card for a different one) and my buddies HP a1214n desktop and have not had any problems with Grub or WiFi on any of them. Currently I can't connect my buddies desktop to his Charter Internet via Cat5 and I'm still trying to figure out why but his system worked fine on my Frontier Modem with my Cat5 cable.
I'm going to take a known good Cat5 cable over to his house to see if maybe the cable is the problem. If not then I'm not sure what to do since I'm pretty much a Linux Noob and only know basic stuff in Terminal. Still, I'm totally Lovin' Linux and especially Point Linux. I'm sure I'll get things figured out sooner or later as will you.

P.S.
Good to see you register on the Category5 show Old Salt, hope to see ya' in the chat room next show. ;)
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Postby Maroman » 10 Oct 2013, 16:08

if you installed Point so you could run it as live CD. session was ok, but without wifi as I understand. many non-free drivers are installed by definition so your wifi chipset is unique in some sense. at Debian site there is a list of supported chipsets.
moreover, you have efi firmware, secure boot is diabled. and trying to install Point along win8. if Point failed, so pure Debian probably would fail too.

I have a suggestion. what about other distros. Point is the best but doesn't work in your case. check if you can install any distro. but choose only these ones supporting efi firmware. try ubuntu and mint. sometimes they are using slightly different drivers. and maybe newer software will be better for newer hardware. now it's roulette (in Point I have no flash card reader, but in ubuntu 12.04.3 I have no wifi which I had in 12.04.02, but in zevenOS I have almost everything but I have no sound. I dad no problem with wifi using Scientific but newer versions, more troubles. how to solve all these problems?).

and the truth is that due to hardware issues you maybe may not install any distro (don't play with samsung, because you can get grilled piece of plastics).

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby oldsalt » 10 Oct 2013, 17:07

I had Ubuntu 13.04 64bit before Point. I liked Ubuntu but didn't like the interface. So, checked out Point and liked everything about it. Didn't realize I couldn't get a boot or WiFi until after the install. Even though I had no WiFi in live I thought I might get it after the install, wrong. I tried about 14 other distros with no luck. Either I got no grub boot, no WiFi (or both), all kinds of lines shooting across the screen or just wouldn't install. Another thing I didn't like about Ubuntu is I couldn't get the burn and some other effects to load into compiz (not that that is all that important.). To be honest, I just plain didn't like the boxy side menu (what ever it's called).
Some of the distros I tried: Linux Mint, Zorin, Debian 7, Fedora, Mageia 3, SnowLinux, Ubuntu, I can't remember the rest, I threw the disks away.
As I said in earlier posts, I am trying to get it working on an HP Pavilian g6 dual core. Windows 8 which I intend to get rid of in the future. It has a Ralink RT3290 802.11 bgn WiFi adapter, Ralink Blietooth 4.0 adapter and I'm trying to connect to a Netgear N300 WNR2000v4 wireless router.
Can I take the Ubuntu drivers that worked and have them work in Point? Just a thought. The boot problem doesn't really bother me all that much since I can boot from a USB boot stick. I do however need the WiFi. I am disabled and can't sit at a computer desk.
oldsalt

Postby Maroman » 10 Oct 2013, 17:54

oldsalt. let us resume.
1. Ubuntu was the only distro working at your notebook.
2. you tried others without success
3. I don't want to use unity.

logically you should go back to Ubuntu with different gui. in ubuntu there is so called fallback session mode (it's like gnome2). so you can install these packeges, you can also get xubuntu, gnome ubuntu and lubuntu or other distros based upon ubuntu (of course without guarantee of their work since kernel and drivers might be different). at the wiki of mate-desktop.org site there is instruction how to replace unity with mate. read and try.

word about drivers. earlier in this discussion some websites were given. and I think that in one of this page (askubuntu) you can find answer how to compile drivers. unfortunately I can not help you at this point with Point. that's the Point!

and hope one day you solve all problems or buy computer without windows preinstalled and install Point.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby TNFrank » 11 Oct 2013, 03:27

Ditto on running Ubuntu with a different desktop then Unity. You should be able to run MATE or Cinnamon on it if you'd like something more Gnome 2'ish. Personally, I love MATE, it's perfect for what I do although after playing a bit with Gnome 3.8 in Fedora 19 I guess it'd work out ok for me if it was all I had to use.
I think it's Windows 8 that's giving you the problems IMHO, that UEFI just doesn't play very well with other Op Systems IMHO. Maybe you can shop around on EBay and pick up something a bit older to put Point Linux on. My HP nc6400's that I have only cost me about $60 U.S. each so I was able to get three of then. That way I have my main, back up and a 3rd for messing around with and I'm still not over $200 for all three of them. Just an idea to kick around.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Postby oldsalt » 11 Oct 2013, 14:18

Thanks guys, guess I'll keep trying different distros until I find one that works.
In the meantime I think I'll continue messing with Point to see if I can get it to work. :)
oldsalt

Postby oldsalt » 13 Oct 2013, 21:25

Hello again. Thought I'd give you an update. I am now running Zorin 7. I'm running it on a USB thumb drive, as that's the only way I can boot grub. I have WiFi with Zorin without doing anything, as soon as it loaded it detected it. With Zorins grub I can also boot into Point and Windows 8. Still no WiFi in Point, not giving up though.
oldsalt

Postby Fishman » 14 Oct 2013, 08:47

oldsalt wrote:Hello again. Thought I'd give you an update. I am now running Zorin 7. I'm running it on a USB thumb drive, as that's the only way I can boot grub. I have WiFi with Zorin without doing anything, as soon as it loaded it detected it. With Zorins grub I can also boot into Point and Windows 8. Still no WiFi in Point, not giving up though.

Hello Oldsalt. That is good news that you are able to boot with Zorin 7. Sounds like you may have a HDD issue. As far as a USB Wifi Donagle goes, well sometimes those devices can become corrupt or damaged physically. May I suggest that you purchase a PCI Wifi card and see if that works. I just did a dual-boot with an old laptop that has an internal wifi antennae and Point Linux found it before I installed it. I have Windows 7 and Point LInux running smoothly on it but now I will reformat and go with pure Point Linux. Also, the USB ports drivers can become corrupted or damaged through lots of use and the like. You could try uninstalling and re-installing those drivers in order to see if that is the problem. I hope that you can have more success in the future with Linux-based systems. Have a great day! :D
" IF IT AIN'T BROKEN, THEN DON'T FIX IT!"-My Grandfather
Fishman

Postby oldsalt » 25 Oct 2013, 22:09

GOOD NEWS, I finally got Wi-Fi working in Point. :D I am only running Point Linux and Windows 8 right now. No longer running Zorin. I still don't have grub boot but that's OK, I am using a USB boot stick to get to Point. Once I am comfortable with Linux I plan to drop Windows all together unless there are programs I can't get in linux. I use Serif WebPlus for my website because I don't know how to do all that programming. WebPlus does all that for me. Any way, I got Wi-Fi, can't remember what I did but I got it. :o
oldsalt

PreviousNext

Return to Installation Support