BC4311 Broadcom Network Wireless

BC4311 Broadcom Network Wireless

Postby Iamwithin » 10 Nov 2013, 03:10

I have enjoyed Point Linux on my quad core desktop so well that I decided to try it on my duo core Dell Inspiron laptop.
But I can't get Point Linux to see my wireless card on my laptop. Tried fooling with b43-cutter and some firmware but no luck.
Any concrete steps I can take? :(
Mint and Ubuntu see it just fine.

Thanks for any help.
Iamwithin

Re: BC4311 Broadcom Network Wireless

Postby drum » 10 Nov 2013, 07:26

I had the same issue on my hp laptop. So i installed point linux wired and after installation i was conected to the wireless.
Point Linux = freedom, reliability, stability, configurability, flexibility, security Image

The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.

point linux = semper fidelis
drum

Postby vita » 10 Nov 2013, 08:32

Iamwithin wrote:I have enjoyed Point Linux on my quad core desktop so well that I decided to try it on my duo core Dell Inspiron laptop.
But I can't get Point Linux to see my wireless card on my laptop. Tried fooling with b43-cutter and some firmware but no luck.
Any concrete steps I can take? :(
Mint and Ubuntu see it just fine.

Thanks for any help.

Try to broadcom-sta-d​kms_5.100.82.1​12-9_all.deb
Good luck!
Человеку свойственно ошибаться, но упорствовать в ошибке глупо
vita

Postby Maroman » 10 Nov 2013, 09:18

drum wrote:i installed point linux wired and after installation i was connected to the wireless.
I must say I do not understand :oops: . did you install something?
@Iamwithin, you can always upgrade your box by exchanging wifi card - cp. http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Feature/292597,how-to-upgrade-your-laptops-wi-fi-adapter.aspx or http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57588167-285/how-to-upgrade-your-laptops-wi-fi-card/.
on the other hand, have you used different distro on your laptop? I have similar problem with atheros wifi card. some distros work some do not (but in this way I've found point, since my then used distro didn't work).

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby drum » 10 Nov 2013, 09:48

I must say I do not understand :oops: . did you install something?

no Maroman i didn't install anything, in the live session i have no connection to my wireless, after a wired install the wireless was connected.
Point Linux = freedom, reliability, stability, configurability, flexibility, security Image

drum

Postby Pry » 10 Nov 2013, 14:41

Vita, broadcom-sta-d​kms_5.100.82 is already installed in Point Linux.
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Iamwithin » 10 Nov 2013, 15:41

drum wrote:I had the same issue on my hp laptop. So i installed point linux wired and after installation i was conected to the wireless.

Trying the wired install right now. Will know something in 30 mins. Thanks for the idea.
Iamwithin

Postby Iamwithin » 10 Nov 2013, 17:09

Well no luck. :-(

I just couldn't get Point to "see" my wireless and what's more when I plugged in the wired connection, it couldn't see that either. ??
So I gave up for now and restored my backup of Mint 13 LTS MATE. As you can see, it immeditaely recognized both wired and wireless.

I have had success with PCLinuxOS, Zorin, Xubuntu, and Mint MATE on this machine.
Although I am delighted with Point on my Desktop, I cannot put Point on my laptop just yet. :-(

Thanks for trying to help.
Iamwithin

Postby TNFrank » 27 Nov 2013, 14:34

Here's a link to get the firmware that you'll need to get your wifi up and running.
http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/kernel/firmware-b43-installer
I had a similar problem when installing Debian 7.2 Wheezy on one of my laptops although I had the Intel wifi card. After I downloaded the firmware and put it into the firmware folder on the "Live" USB I'd created with UNetbootin it hooked up my wifi on install no problem at all.
The B43 card can be a real pain, I had one in a Dell 1521 and had to download firmware for it to work. Anyway, hope you give Point Linux another chance. It really IS a great Op System IMHO.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Postby drum » 27 Nov 2013, 15:14

have you tried?:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

otherwise here's a link to the broadcom drivers: http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

drum

Next

Return to Installation Support