Why no Swap Partition on install?

Why no Swap Partition on install?

Postby TNFrank » 06 May 2014, 17:32

Why doesn't Point Linux create a swap partition when you install it? All I get is one bit ext4 partition with root, home and grub in it but no swap.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Re: Why no Swap Partition on install?

Postby GB Jim » 07 May 2014, 22:26

I see you have not gotten an answer. I am no expert, but created the swap partition on my machine manually at installation. That maybe one reason why. Depending on your memory and processors you may want more or less swap then an automatic installation default. If anyone else has a better reason let us know.
GB Jim

Postby jordan » 08 May 2014, 18:57

I agree with Jim. If you have a significant amount of RAM and CPU power, there is no need for a swap partition.
jordan

Postby TNFrank » 09 May 2014, 03:23

I'm running 2GB of RAM and I doubt that I'd ever use Swap during normal operation but from all I've read if you suspend your computer you need Swap for the stuff in RAM to be stored in on the Hard Drive. I just went a head and made a 2GB Swap Partition and set it to swapon so I'm good to go.
It's crazy because Manjaro makes 4 partitions and Point Linux is only making one on install. Long as I can boot to a Live USB with Gparted on it and tweak stuff then it's not a huge deal, easy enough to fix.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
TNFrank

Return to Installation Support