keyboard layout

keyboard layout

Postby pyrosrock » 10 Apr 2013, 12:44

hey,
i am trying to install point linux after hearing about it on http://www.category5.tv, i am trying to install in virtual box but cannot get past typing my name in, i use a Dvorak keyboard layout and no matter weather i put it in dvorak in the installer or in the preferences it simply types in qwerty, if i go back to the preferences keyboard layout it lists dvorak as my layout but if i press show it shows a qwerty keyboard.

any way round this, is it a known bug or is this a virtual box issue, i have tried installing a guest additions from VB with no success
help people i cant type in qwerty so i cant install
pyrosrock

Re: keyboard layout

Postby Pry » 13 Apr 2013, 06:29

Hello, pyrosrock!

Sorry for delay. Well, it looks like you've found a bug in installer.

If I understand you right, you select "English (US) - English (Dvorak)" in Keyboard Layout screen and get qwerty layout instead of that. Let's try to fix it. Press Forward to get the the User Info screen. Open Terminal leaving the Installer running. In Terminal type
Code: Select all
setxkbmap dvorak
You'll be able to use your Dvorak keyboard. Please proceed with installation and tell me of the layout you'll get after the installation. We'll fix it too if it's wrong.

Installer currently does not respect non-qwerty keyboards. How spread Dvorak keyboards in States?
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby pyrosrock » 13 Apr 2013, 08:16

Hey thanks for the reply,

Yes that trick seems to have fixed the issue and i now have it all installed, after reboot it all seems to still be in Dvorak so that seems to have sorted it out for me.

As to the wide spread use of Dvorak it does not exist, I am in Australia where we use the same layout keyboard as the US but the one that i bought i ripped all the keys off and stuck em back on in the Dvorak layout http://twitpic.com/53e1xm
pyrosrock

Postby msw » 20 Jul 2013, 14:06

Hi you all,

I had Solus OS installed and had the same Problem.

Now I have just installed Point Linux on an old Gercom notebook (P4, 384 MB RAM, originally WinXP home) and had a similar problem.
I could not switch to the German layout.
After fiddling a little I just removed the "English" entry from the configuration menue and all was fine.

So, maybe it's a bug in Debian Wheezy.
Today, there ist just too much gimmicery in the end user's PC. Why not just KISS?
msw

Postby Dagg » 27 Oct 2013, 16:19

pyrosrock wrote:hey,
i am trying to install point linux after hearing about it on http://www.category5.tv, i am trying to install in virtual box but cannot get past typing my name in, i use a Dvorak keyboard layout and no matter weather i put it in dvorak in the installer or in the preferences it simply types in qwerty

I confirm that this issue is still present in the installer of PL 2.2 Full amd64.

Boot on LiveCD
Set French in Pref > Keyboard layout
Run the installer, set the language and keyboard to French
When you type your name, keyboard is still in qwerty.

And after installation, the keyboard layout for the login doesn't match with the language/keyboard layout set in the installer (still qwerty instead of azerty in my case).
PL 2.3.2 amd64 Full
Dagg

Postby drum » 27 Oct 2013, 17:19

here i can confirm that this issue is still present, in the installation i had qwerty and after install azerty, so i have typed my password in qwerty-layout and removed then the "Eng" entry from the configuration menue and all was fine with the "Be" as the only entry and a azerty.
Point Linux = freedom, reliability, stability, configurability, flexibility, security Image

The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.

point linux = semper fidelis
drum

Postby Pry » 27 Oct 2013, 18:26

Still can't see the problem.
- During the installation you can test your secondary keyboard layout on the 'Keyboard layout' screen.
- Then keyboard switches to en_US and you write your username and password using this layout. This is necessary for the languages like Russian (non-latin) for instance where you can type your username in Russian (Mint Installer has this bug) and ruin your installation as non-latin names are not allowed for the usernames.
- LightDM uses the en_US layout by default.
- You get US (primary) and BE (secondary) after login by default. And you certainly can change it.

Do I miss something? Drum, please PM me your Jabber/GTalk account (if you have one) so we could discuss it.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Dagg » 28 Oct 2013, 00:40

Pry wrote:Still can't see the problem.

There is two problems.
- in an installer, if you set a specific language and keyboard, it's not usual to have another keyboard layout that the selected for typing your username/pwd.
It's the first time I see this operating mode.
- On login screen, although LightDM shows that french is set, the layout is not azerty but qwerty. So if your password is "tagada", you have to type "tqgqdq".
PL 2.3.2 amd64 Full
Dagg

Postby drum » 28 Oct 2013, 03:15

Do I miss something? Drum, please PM me your Jabber/GTalk account (if you have one) so we could discuss it.

sorry Pry, but i haven't got a Jabber/Gtalk account :?
Point Linux = freedom, reliability, stability, configurability, flexibility, security Image

The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.

point linux = semper fidelis
drum

Postby Pry » 28 Oct 2013, 04:15

Okay. I'll read about the azerty keyboard then.
Pry
Site Admin

Next

Return to Installation Support