keyboard layout

Re: keyboard layout

Postby daufinsyd » 29 Oct 2013, 08:40

Hello,

i've got the same problem.
When i switch us keyboard to french keyboard it doesn't work. if I write 'blabla' for my password it writes 'blqblq'.
I even deleted us keyboard (System > Keyboard) but It still doesn't work.
daufinsyd

Postby Pry » 29 Oct 2013, 17:46

Dagg wrote:
The LightDm bug.

Is there really a LightDM bug ? Not very sure.

Actually, I think the language selector of LDM is just for the settings of the session the user wants to open, and not for changing the keyboard layout of the login screen.

The keyboard layout for the login screen seems to be set by X server.

The unneeded 'us' layout for the latin keyboards.

It is possible to keep US layout (so the user will be able to switch between different keymap), but this setting should be put in second, after the keyboard layout choosen by the user during install.
For example, after my install the XKBLAYOUT was "us,fr" (this is why I was in qwerty at login screen)
It should be better if it was set to "fr, us".

Nope, it won't be second, as:
1. It's needed for a login sequence for non-latin locales
2. This is a geek oriented distro first of all, and we use terminal, type internet addresses, and we code a lot. So latin is vital.

So my proposal is to remove 'us' locale (and layout switch) completely for locales like 'gb', 'fr', 'de' and so on, I think you got the point. I think it's a better solution, yet, it's gonna be easier to implement. What do I need to know is the exact list of the countries where people use modified qwerty (or azerty as it is in France) latin layouts and they do not need to switch between layouts as all the latin symbols are accessible without switch. I tried to google it without any luck.

Maroman, do you switch between layouts for instance, or Polish layout is enough for you?
Peter Ryzhenkov, Point Linux Lead Developer.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby drum » 29 Oct 2013, 18:25

What do I need to know is the exact list of the countries where people use modified qwerty (or azerty as it is in France) latin layouts and they do not need to switch between layouts

Over here i have 2 laptop and 1 desktop installation with azerty layout, and 1 netbook installation with qwerty layout, all i have done on the azerty installations is removed the 'us' and everything works fine.
When the installation starts i have typed my password on all the installations in the 'qwerty'layout.
Point Linux = freedom, reliability, stability, configurability, flexibility, security Image

The "Penguin" has arrived - and he's not going away - ever.

point linux = semper fidelis
drum

Postby Maroman » 29 Oct 2013, 19:23

Pry wrote:Maroman, do you switch between layouts for instance, or Polish layout is enough for you?

well, as a matter of fact I do not understand the problem.
firstly. for me there is no difference for using any keyboard during boot. us is ok and natural. switching on polish keyboard for boot was only a kind of exercise but not a must.
secondly. for work, after boot I use just polish qwertz (any additional kbd added in System>Preferences>Keyboard. I used to have two keyboards but always us was the first despite the order set in preferences) and works fine.
resume. from my point of view I can't see any problem and probable can use any solution as far as it wouldn't spoil my keyboard.

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Dagg » 29 Oct 2013, 19:55

Pry wrote: What do I need to know is the exact list of the countries where people use modified qwerty (or azerty as it is in France) latin layouts

If it can help :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin-scri ... _alphabets

Maroman wrote:well, as a matter of fact I do not understand the problem.

The problem is that keboard layout at login screen doesn't match with the language set during installation (but once logged all is OK).
When I choose French for language, I'm used to have an azerty layout for my system.
If your password is from an azerty layout, and if,like me, you copy/paste it directly into the field of the installer, after first boot you can't login with LDM because of the qwerty layout set by default.
PL 2.3.2 amd64 Full
Dagg

Postby Maroman » 29 Oct 2013, 21:34

Dagg, it was a bit ironic. I have this same. I use special characters and their positions at keyboards are different. but I must say I never ever have any problems with password input. simply during boot I follow physical keyboard layout (I press exactly what is on keys). but do you or somebody else can show the distro without said keyboard problem? any Debian derivative distro?
ride my bike,
Maroman

Postby Dagg » 29 Oct 2013, 23:03

Maroman wrote:Dagg, it was a bit ironic (...) but do you or somebody else can show the distro without said keyboard problem? any Debian derivative distro?

Whith your question I understand now why you was ironic :)

My first Debian derivative distro was Ubuntu (Hoary), the last was directly a Debian (Wheezy), for my childrens I've installed Linux Mint (LMDE), and I never met this problem before.

I never ever have any problems with password input. simply during boot I follow physical keyboard layout (I press exactly what is on keys)

I think that's because your keyboard has a "qwerty" layout, not mine.
In france keyboards have "azerty" layout, and it's for that when I hit the "A" key, I have a "Q" on screen.
PL 2.3.2 amd64 Full
Dagg

Postby Pry » 30 Oct 2013, 03:49

I don't believe it can. I can turn switch for there countries, but having latin keyboard doesn't mean one doesn't have to switch to enter all the latin letters. In other words are there latin based national layouts that do not have all the [a-zA-Z0-9] symbols in it and there must be a switch? What other latin based keyboard layouts do not have the standard qwerty layout?
Yet it's interesting why there's noone complaining about the 'de' keyboard? This is probably because the 'de' variant is qwerty based and 'fr' uses it's own.
Pry
Site Admin

Postby Ralph W. Llama » 30 Oct 2013, 09:28

No one already complained about Dvorak and BÉPO keyboards, but I guess they must have the same problem...

Now here's my version of the problem. I wanted to install Point in French, with of course an AZERTY keyboard. First the liveDVD was in English, maybe I missed the language menu, maybe there isn't one, that's not the problem. While installing, I selected the French keyboard layout.
As for everybody else, the keyboard on the login screen is QWERTY, no matter what I do.
The first time I logged in, in my session the keyboard was also QWERTY. I checked the layout menu, there were both English and French keyboard. I deleted the English one. But then, yesterday, I put it back. And this morning, when I logged into my session, the keyboard was QWERTY, despite the fact that French is first in the layout list.

EDIT : I'm installing Point on a VM to see if I didn't miss something... I don't think I did. But here's something more : before starting the install, on the liveDVD, I set the keyboard layout to French, I even deleted the English one from the list, to be sure, but the keyboard is still QWERTY.
Vivre libre ou mourir !
Ralph W. Llama

Postby Pry » 30 Oct 2013, 17:09

Okay folks, let's stop complaning, I heared you and I'm trying to fix the problem. But I strongly need your help not the complains.

As I said the main problem is to find out what layouts have all latin letters and do not require language switch to be installed.
My thoughts are: we can divide languages into three categories:
1. Latin-based (they do not require an additional 'us' layout. It's used as a default.
2. Greek, Russian, Ukrainian, Belarussian, Kazakh, Bulgarian, Armenian, Hebrew, Arabic, Georgian that require additional 'us' layout for the latin input.
3. Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Indic layouts that do not require additional 'us' layout as they remain latin using completely different input method.

The best link I could find so far...

Are there any other people from countries where latin-based keyboards are used? Please tell where are you from and do you need a second 'us' layout?
Pry
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Installation Support