Point Linux 64bit 3.0b3 won't install

Point Linux 64bit 3.0b3 won't install

Postby strangepapyrus » 19 Dec 2014, 21:10

Hi,

Decided to try out the latest test version. Live mode fine but can not install yet.

Downloaded Point Linux 64bit 3.0b3, copied to usb disk using unetbootin and booted into live mode. Double clicking on the icon "Install Point Linux" and nothing happens.

Managed to get an error message only by opening terminal, sudo su, cd /usr/bin & ./pointlinux-installer, as follows:

Code: Select all
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/pointlinux-installer/main.py", line 20, in <module>
    win = InstallerWindow()
  File "/usr/lib/pointlinux-installer/frontend/gtk_interface.py", line 215, in __init__
    self.installer = InstallerEngine()
  File "/usr/lib/pointlinux-installer/installer.py", line 28, in __init__
    self.de = self.disk_label[1].upper()
IndexError: list index out of range

Some problem with identifying disks?? I don't know for sure. Might be a problem with my usb disk perhaps? I am running on a Lenovo T420 with the DVD drive replaced with a bay containing a second HDD. Could that be a problem? Might try another usb disk and dd'ing the iso direct to the drive instead of using unetbootin.

Just thought I'd bring this to the developers attention in case anyone else has the same issues but I'll start trying to find a way to make it work and get back to you.

I'm new to Point and it seems great. Just what I was looking for. Thanks all.

Martin
strangepapyrus

Re: Point Linux 64bit 3.0b3 won't install

Postby strangepapyrus » 19 Dec 2014, 21:36

OK, got it to work. Copied the iso across with the following command:

sudo dd bs=4M if=/home/martin/Downloads/pointlinux-mate-full-3.0b3-64.iso of=/dev/sdc && sudo sync

On your system you would need to change sdc to your usb drive, ie. cd into directory containing iso

sudo dd bs=4M if=pointlinux-mate-full-3.0b3-64.iso of=/dev/sdX && sudo sync

replacing X with your drive.

So either use above method or burn to DVD. If others have had success with unetbootin then please let me know as it's probably my usb drive at fault.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin
strangepapyrus

Re: Point Linux 64bit 3.0b3 won't install

Postby Maroman » 19 Dec 2014, 22:35

strangepapyrus wrote:So either use above method or burn to DVD. If others have had success with unetbootin then please let me know as it's probably my usb drive at fault.
or read Point Linux wiki :wink:

Type in terminal sudo dd if=/path/to/image.iso of=/dev/sdX oflag=direct bs=1048576
where X is the last letter of your USB stick device and '/path/to/image.iso' is path to the Point Linux image file.
and so on

cheers,
ride my bike,
Maroman

Return to Installation Support